Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm: Final Preparations for Irene

While Irene began its assault up the east coast, here in Maine the sun is still shining through some milky cloud cover. The air feels very tropical and soon the sunlight will be extinguished as the outer edge of Irene begins to move into the area. Some rain is expected to begin tonight, but the 500 mile wide storm will not reach us until Sunday and continue through the night. It's hard to believe that it will be all over by Monday morning.

The yard has been cleaned up from anything that can blow around. The cars are parked in the middle of the yard away from falling trees and limbs. I have made several treks through the garden harvesting all that I can. I expect high winds to do some damage. Some of the foliage on the trellises is pretty thick and will only act like a sail in the wind.

Other than the damage to the garden, our greatest inconvenience will probably be losing our power for an extended period of time. We can easily get by with candles, oil lamps, and flashlights for lighting and our gas grill can be used for cooking. Since our well pump runs on electricity, we have filled up various containers of water for drinking, bathing, cooking and flushing.

We have plenty to eat:

Last harvest from the garden before Irene

Safe wishes to all my garden blogging friends affected by Irene.

8 comments:

  1. Stay safe--Best of luck. I hope you don't lose power too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful harvest! Hopefully Irene will loose some of her punch and some of the gardens will survive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay safe! I found your blog and love it! :) I am going to be a follower! :) Erin

    www.healthybranscoms.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe wishes to you! Be careful, but it sounds like you're pretty well prepared. I was hoping Irene would be all talk and no do, but it looks like she still means business. Thankfully everyone had warning of what might happen, which is certainly better than being caught unprepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Irene is kind to you. We are all set too. I hope the few things I left out will be OK. I'm most worried about my dried beans that have so many beans on them. The sunflowers I'm sure will collapse in the wind, but I've picked any flowers that are already ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be safe and take care of yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be safe, hopefully it will really weaken by the time it gets there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job in your preparations and I hope Irene is kind to you and just gives you a good soaking. Let us know what the outcome is.

    ReplyDelete