Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Harvest Monday: August 29, 2011

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

I am a day late with my Harvest Monday post because Irene left us without power for 24 hours and no internet for 48 hours. All is well in the garden spot. There was no damage to our property or the garden. The neighborhood suffered a few tree casualties. Below are some harvests from last week before the storm:

First Apples from our trees - Not perfect, but usable once trimmed.

Peppers

Tomatoes

Lots of partially ripe tomatoes were harvested before Irene struck

Tomatoes, Eggplant, Beans, and Cuke harvested the day before Irene

Summer Squash, Peppers, and Potatoes harvested the day before Irene

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful harvest. My goodness , your peppers are HUGE!! I "forgave" my pepper plant for only producing 2 peppers, as they were quite large.....but now that pepper plant has some explaining to do!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful harvest. Everything looks so delicious. I'm glad you persevered through Irene and your garden was OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful harvest! Glad to hear that your garden faired well through the storm! What type of peppers are those? They're enormous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your harvest looks great. I'm glad Irene didn't do you any damage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, GM ! Your veggies are perfect (as usual) and looks like a bumper year for you.

    Those apples are lovely (I don't care what you say ! :P). (Been backreading a little). I guess the previous owners didn't mention what variety they are But that TLC definitely paid off. I know they're high-maintenance but I bought an apple this year and am really looking forward to it. I plan on pruning it regularly to keep it as compact as possible. It's tiny, atm. I don't expect to be harvesting anytime soon.

    ps. Glad to hear the storm didn't inconvenience too much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue: The peppers ARE huge. The long peppers are green Marconi Rosso and the large blocky bell peppers are Quadrato Rosso D'Asti. Both were from Granny. Both varieties have grown very well. I probably wouldn’t' have tried them if it wasn't for Granny.

    Jody: Thanks! I was so thankful that Irene was kind to the garden.

    Bee Girl: The long peppers are Marconi Rosso which usually mature to red, but I harvested them early. The large blocky bell peppers are Quadrato Rosso D'Asti. Both are sweet peppers and will be used for salsa.

    Daphne: Thanks!

    Miss M: So nice to hear from you! We sprayed the apple trees this year, but still some ended up with minor pest damage and disease. They are in much better condition than in the past. I made an apple pie over the weekend with apples that had fallen from the trees and it was delicious. We will have to make sure to stay on our spray schedule next year. I don't know the variety of apples we have growing, but we think some of the apples tasted like MacIntosh.

    Good luck with your apple tree. I am sure with care it will produce very well for you. Ours are quite old and have not been pruned or taken care of very well.

    ReplyDelete