Monday, October 17, 2011

Harvest Monday: October 17, 2011

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their garden yield for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting each week and how they are enjoying their homegrown produce.

The Pak Choi seedlings grew fast and healthy under the lights. These never made it to the garden. Instead they were used in a stir fry:

Baby Pak Choi

The last of the onions were harvested and allowed to cure in the warm sun:

Onions

Some usable celery was found among the tattered stalks. This was used in a beef stew:

Celery

The potatoes were dug this week the damaged and small potatoes were used in a beef stew:

Dark Red Norland Poatoes

Kennebec Potatoes

Most of the garden is finished for the season. A lot of garden cleanup was accomplished last week during my vacation from work. Only green onions, leeks, and spinach are still in the garden. The broccoli was pulled because it was infested with caterpillars. The plants were covered with a row cover, but somehow a cabbage moth was able to find it. I am still contemplating the best spot to plant garlic this year.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

8 comments:

  1. I've been getting my garden clean up done too. I have one more section of potatoes to dig too. They didn't do well this year though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby pak choi did really well for being raised under lights only! The potatoes and onions look good too. I have a few celery plants too that are still growing in the garden and probably should harvest them before we get our first freeze and I lose them. My fall broccoli is less than spectacular this year because the heads all bloomed while I was away on a trip to my mom's and so I missed all of the big harvest from them and am down to just some side shoot production - and not very good production at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice harvest! Those Norland potatoes are gorgeous. I haven't sorted out my celery in a while. I find that homegrown celery is sooo strong that I use it more like an herb. Next year, I think I'll only grown one cluster.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like delicious stew. Perfect for the energy you need to prepare the garden for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely the start of stew and soup season! Everything looks great! I can't wait for some Asian greens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daphne: I am hearing a lot of potatoes didn't do well this year. I hope next year is better for us all.

    Laura: The Pak Choi grew really fast under the lights and there were no slugs or worms to deal with. I think I may grow more over the winter months. Sorry you missed your broccoli.

    Thomas: My celery was in pretty rough shape. I was lucky to find some that was healthy and usable in the centers. I agree with you on the flavor. Fresh grown celery is so much more flavorful than celery purchased in the grocery store. A little goes a long way.

    Jody: I had a bunch of small and speared potatoes to use up. Beef stew seemed to be the best way to use the potatoes, celery and a bunch of other veggies in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pesky cabbage moths. That's always my fear with using the row cover material for protection. I've had pak choy seedlings get pretty big indoors but never eaten them. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like your potatoes are really coming in now. I didn't have anything to post for Harvest Monday this week. :(

    ReplyDelete