Monday, October 3, 2011

Harvest Monday: October 3, 2011

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their garden yield for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting each week and how they are enjoying their homegrown produce.

I made two batches of Concord Grape Jelly on Saturday from the grapes harvested last week. Then I had the urge to make some homemade English Muffins.


I used Alton Brown's English Muffin recipe from the Food Network website, but needed to modify the process a bit because I don't have rings or an electric skillet. Instead, I used wide mouth canning rings to hold the shape and lined these with strips of aluminum foil to make them taller.


A frying pan on the stove over medium low heat replaced the electric skillet in the recipe. The rings were placed in the pan, sprayed with cooking spray, and sprinkled with cornmeal. 1/2 cup of batter was used per ring. More cornmeal was sprinkled on top of the batter. Then the pan was covered and the timer set for 6 minutes.


Using tongs, I slipped off the aluminum foil, gripped on to the rings, and turned over the English Muffins. The rings also slipped off easily. The pan was covered and the muffins cooked for another 6 minutes. When finished cooking, the muffins were removed from the pan with a spatula and placed on a cooling rack to cool. Fork splitting provides the best nooks and crannies.

I will be purchasing English Muffin rings and trying this recipe again very soon.


Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use canning rings and aluminum foil! Those muffins look wonderful!

    So, were you pleased with your grape jelly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very ingenious! Those look absolutely delicious too. I think I may have to give those a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nommm.... LOVE fresh english muffins. I have a recipe of my own around here somewhere. Now I'll have to go dig it up! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow they look fabulous! I will have to give them a go. Lovely looking jam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to be trying this. Hubby loves english muffins. The price? Outrageous for what they are.....so I love the idea of "making my own"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love homemade English muffins! We made ours freeform last time, and they came out with funky shapes. Yours look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look yummy. Although I bake bread all the time, I had never thought to make English muffins -- until a friend came for Sunday brunch this summer and brought fresh English muffins from the Bread Shack in Auburn. They were a revelation. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin: Yes, the grape jelly came out just as expected. It's funny, I didn't like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a child, but I like grape jelly on toast, muffins, or bagels.

    Laura: I never knew how to make English muffins. They are more like a pancake than a bread.

    Barbie: find that recipe :)

    Liz: Making a batch of English muffins is much easier than I imagined.

    Sue: When I was in my 20s and poor, I survived on English muffins. They were only 3 packages for $1. I used them for breakfast sandwiches, mini pizza, snack, etc. They are quite costly now and don't really taste that great. Let me know how you and Hubby make out.

    Villager: I thought I remembered reading about English muffins on your blog but I couldn't find the post when I was looking for a recipe. The recipe I used was more like a pancake batter and really needs the rings to keep it together.

    Jean: It was funny how this all came about. I never thought about making English muffins before, but suddenly I had a craving and wondered how they were made. A quick web search later I had a recipe to try. They were really good and I am looking forward to experimenting with different recipes in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grabbed that recipe up real quick! The one and only time I tried making English Muffins, they were baked and then browned on the griddle, and they came out as hard as hockey pucks.

    ReplyDelete