Sunday, October 30, 2011

Winter in October

We ended up with about 4-5 inches of very wet heavy snow this morning. It has melted quickly over the course of the day.

Snow covered garden.

Raspberries bent over from the weight of the heavy snow.

The biggest issue was we had no power until about 2:15 this afternoon. I made tomato sauce yesterday and was planning on canning it this morning. Instead I was firing up the wood stove for warmth and to heat water for tea.

Bradie finding frozen apples beneath the snow.

Hopefully the snow will be gone soon and we can enjoy fall a little while longer.

5 comments:

  1. I am just amazed at how much snow hit so many of you so early in the season. I hope it is just an early warm up and the real show waits until a more suitable time to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you faired much better then we did here. We had about 8" of heavy wet snow. There are trees down on every block. Our power was out for more then 24 hours and many will be without power for a couple more days. I will post about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura: Crazy snowstorm. Usually we are raking leaves now, not shoveling snow.

    Robin: We were lucky. They were predicting 10-12 inches of snow in my area at one time. I am glad you made it through the storm without any major damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glade this storm stayed east! Nature has a way of keeping one on their toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was happy to see this estimate of your snowfall, since I'm imagining that I probably had a similar amount next door in Poland. Like you, I was so not ready for this storm. I was in Maine several weeks ago for a long weekend to do fall clean-up chores, but didn't get them all done -- some wood was still piled in the driveway and hoses haven't been pulled out of the garden and put away yet. I'll be up this weekend to finish those chores, and I'm hoping to find all the snow melted by then. -Jean

    ReplyDelete