Saturday, December 31, 2011

Farewell to 2011 - Hello 2012!

I want to wish everyone a Happy, Healthy, and Safe New Year! I for one will be happy to say goodbye to 2011. Life has its ups and downs and this year had an abundance of complications, illness, and a loss of a loved one.  Hopefully we can shed the gloom from 2011 and move on to more cheerfulness in 2012.

One bright spot in 2011 was the garden. It produced very well for us and we are still enjoying so much preserved bounty. Although I failed to compile a garden overview at the end of the year like I usually do, let me assure you that our basement and chest freezer are full of preserved produce grown in the garden. I am quite thankful for all that the garden spot provided for us.

Jars of canned tomato sauce, zesty salsa, grape jelly, applesauce, and string beans are stored on shelves in the basement. Also stored in the cool basement are two boxes of potatoes; several Delicata, Spaghetti, Butternut, and Pumpkin squashes; a basket of garlic, and a large bag of onions.

Our chest freezer holds some tomatoes frozen whole that can be used in soups, stews, or made into more tomato sauce or salsa. Other frozen produce include basil pesto, garlic scape pesto, Concord grapes, chopped onions, sliced celery, chopped leeks, pureed pumpkin, grated zucchini, julienned peppers, and sliced eggplant.

2011 was my second year growing from seed and I have found that I really enjoy growing and caring for seedlings in the early spring while snow covers the garden beds outside. Previously, I had purchased seedlings and the gardening season began around Labor Day. There is also much more variety to choose when growing from seed.




I am so eager to sort through my seed box and begin planning the garden for 2012.

Happy New Year!!

6 comments:

  1. I am not unhappy to say goodbye to 2011 either. It was a crazy busy year for me in my professional life and kind of "ho hum" on the garden front as our weather was so dramatically cool all summer. Here's hoping 2012 will be a little less eventful and full of garden bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodbye to 2011, may I never see another gardening year like it! I'm hoping for happiness, good health and great gardening for you (and all of us) in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on saying goodbye to 2011! It was definitely a gardening challenge!

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry that 2011 was not a great year, here is to wishing you a 2012 that is full of happiness, peace, and productivity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year. I am also chomping at the bit to get going on our gardening adventures for 2012...may it be a good one for all of us. Sounds like you accomplished a lot this year.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura: I do hope for better weather for you in 2012. Hopefully, La Niña will release it's hold and bring you more normal temperatures and rainfall this growing season.

    Granny: I will echo what I hoped for Laura. I hope that a better gardening year is ahead for you in 2012. Mother Nature will hopefully be in better spirits and offer warmth and sun.

    Robin: I hope your new community garden comes together quickly and produces very well for you.

    Kris: Thank you. Life is already looking more positive and I hope the trend continues in 2012.

    Mr. H: I organized my seed box and began plotting out the garden spot this weekend. Such a great feeling to be in control of some of the food that we consume.

    ReplyDelete