Garden accomplishments over the past week included adding compost and restringing the Square Foot Gardens (SFG). The old cotton strings had deteriorated. Most had snapped, so I pulled the remaining strings when cleaning out the gardens and they were added to the compost bin to further decompose. It was easier to add compost and mix in without the strings getting in the way. Once the compost was worked in and leveled off, I restrung the squares with cotton string.
|Topped off with compost and restrung|
Some Red Barron Onion sets were planted along with some Shallots. I also began transplanting some of the onion seedlings. This resulted in the realization that I misjudged the space allocated in the garden for onions.
|Onion sets and seedlings|
I mass planted the seeds into individual recycled berry containers. The onion seeds were two years old, so I didn’t expect them all to germinate. But I didn’t expect the seeds to last another year either. Evidently, the two-year-old seeds were in great condition as almost all germinated and grew to healthy seedlings.
|Onion seedlings under the lights in February|
|One of the four onion containers ready to be tranplanted|
Once the onion seedlings were separated and spaced out 16 per square foot. It was apparent that they would require double the space planned. Luckily, with SFGing it is easy to adjust the squares. Some lettuce space was reduced in order to make room for the onion seedlings. Spring Lettuce will grow and produce just as well in pots.
The Celery seedlings’ roots were bursting from their soilblocks but the weather and the Self Watering Containers that they will eventually be planted in are not ready yet. So I moved the Celery into larger containers. I will begin hardening them off this weekend.
|Celery potted up into larger containers|
Roma Tomatoes were also potted up. Within 24-hours of seeding into the new germination station, the Roma Tomato seeds were the first to sprout. These were transferred carefully to soil blocks and continued to grow quickly. Once they reached two-inches in height and their roots appeared at the edges of the soilblocks, I decided to pot them up into larger containers. These will not be planted out for another month and they should benefit from stretching their roots a little.
The rest of the tomatoes and peppers were a little slower to sprout even with using the seed starting germination station. They still have plenty of time to catch up. They won't be planted out until around Memorial Day:
|Tomato and Pepper seedlings in soilblocks|
Lettuce seedlings joined the greens under protection. The beautiful red lettuces developed into even more brilliant colors and they are taking the cold nights in stride:
This weekend will again be partially rainy. Not much can be done with the in-ground gardens right now until they dry out more:
|One of the two in ground garden plots|
Luckily the raised beds drain really well and warm up quickly allowing me to get a jump on the growing season.
I am looking forward to making some progress in the garden this weekend. Plans include planting out more onion and lettuce seedlings into the raised beds, pulling out the Self Watering Containers from the shed to prepare for the new season, and making some carrot seed mats to be planted in the SFGs.