It was foggy and the grass was still wet with dew early Saturday morning. I planted some peppers and eggplants into the previously prepared garden beds. The soaker hose was turned on and allowed to water the bed thoroughly.
|Marconi Rosso Pepper|
|Top Row: Eggplant Bottom Row: Peppers|
I pulled out all the self-watering containers, cleaned them out, refilled them with soil, added fertilizer, filled them with water, and planted the Roma Tomatoes. There are five in all holding two Roma tomato plants each:
|Roma Tomato in Self Watering Container|
|Roma Tomatoes in Self Watering Containers|
K joined me later in the afternoon to help me prep the second in-ground bed now that the soil was dried out enough to work. It was tilled and raked smooth. Planting beds were plotted out along with walking paths in between. This bed is where we planted the Dark Red Norland Potatoes.
To the north of the potato bed is the pole bean plot. Two double rows were plotted for the pole beans and a soaker hose was laid:
|Pole Bean Beds|
The area to the south of the potato bed was planned for some summer and winter squash. But this has changed with the new garden expansion. The squash will be moved to the new garden bed and the quantity increased. This area will now be the tomato overflow bed:
|Tomato Overflow Bed|
We then moved on to finish up preparing the new garden bed. I worked on shaking the soil out from most of the sod on Friday. While I was laying out the soaker hose on the other bed, K finished up shaking the sod and tilled the new bed.
I worked in some compost and raked the soil smooth, while K extended the fence to enclose the new bed:
I just need to pick up another soaker hose, lay it out and cover the soil with solar mulch and it will be ready for planting. The squash seedlings are more than ready to go:
It was an exhausting but very productive Saturday. I have time off from work this week and am looking forward to finishing up the garden planting.