Sunday, April 22, 2012

Finding Seed Potatoes Locally

I was thrilled to visit a local farm and garden center and find a good variety of potato seeds for much less than I was paying for online sources. I sorted through the seeds and weighed out five pounds of Kennebec and five pounds of Red Norland potatoes. I have grown both varieties the past couple of years and feel they have served us well.

New potato seeds spread out to chit

I should have taken inventory of the stored potatoes in the basement before shopping. The potatoes stored really well all winter, much better than last year. The last time I dug through the box for potatoes, I found them sprouting a little and getting a bit soft. I didn't check on them again until this week.


Most of the smaller Kennebec potatoes from last season filtered down to the bottom of the storage box and have sprouted. I planted them in the dry soil yesterday. We are supposed to have some good soaking rain over the next few days and I wanted to double dig the bed while the soil was easier to work. There are about 7 pounds of small potatoes in this box top. Luckily, I have the room to plant the extras.

6 comments:

  1. Always good to find a local source of supplies - saves on shipping costs and usually is just cheaper too. I like supporting local businesses where I can as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be purchasing seed potatoes locally from now on. Along with the price difference, I liked being able to sort though and choose the ones I was purchasing.

      Delete
  2. Lucky you! We don't have a good local source for seed potatoes. I always end up ordering them from Maine. I am hoping that I will have enough stored this winter to plant some next spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered this year that if I can wait until late April, I have several local farm stores where I can purchase Maine certified seed potatoes.

      Storing seed potatoes has been hit or miss for me. The first year I tried, they didn't make it until planting time. This year was total accidental. I will try to save some seed for next year, but it is nice to know I have a local source if they don't make it.

      Delete
  3. Lucky both in your new source AND getting to the saved ones right in time for rain. Here's hope for many many spuds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I got the sprouted potatoes planted because they are getting a nice watering right now. Also, it will break up the potato planting process a bit. Double digging is really hard. Hopefully, all will grow well.

      Delete