Sunday, April 29, 2012

Frosty Nights

Frost has been predicted for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Friday night, I covered the newly transplanted onions. I found no cold damage the following morning. In fact the Rouge D'Hiver lettuce has turned a brilliant red from the cold:

Rouge D'Hiver Lettuce

Transplanted lettuce along the edge of the bed on April 19

After some cold nights 

I didn't worry about the other greens on Friday night because temps were predicted to hover around freezing. The Kale, Swiss Chard, Spinach, and Pak Choi in the same bed are more established and have already experienced cold temperatures. All are also under row covers which gives them a little protection. 

However, last night and tomorrow night the temperatures are forecasted to be low 20s. I covered them all last night and will cove them again tomorrow night. Better safe than sorry.

5 comments:

  1. So far we have missed the frost even thought the weathermen predicted them. We have one more night of cold weather before it warms up a bit. I'm only worried about the flowers really. The zinnias have just germinated outside. And the cosmos was recently planted. I think they will both be fine though. There aren't any warm weather plants in the garden yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had frost both Saturday and Sunday nights. The lettuce and onions were my concerns because they were new transplants. I hardened them off over a long period, but none of those nights was below freezing.

      Delete
  2. Low 20's in almost May....brrrrr, I could not survive in your world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure you could, you would just have to bundle up :)

      Delete
  3. We had a record low of 22 on Sunday night. Most of my plantings weren't affected. Everything is looking good enough to eat. I am not sure I would be able to let it get bigger.

    ReplyDelete