Saturday, April 21, 2012

Lettuce Seedlings

I was covering the newly transplanted kale, spinach, bok choi, and swiss chard with plastic protection for the first few nights after they were transplanted to the garden. I forgot to cover them last Thursday night and was a little freaked to see some frost the following morning, but the plants were fine the next day.

The lettuce had been spending some time outside hardening off over the past few weeks. It was ready to transplant into the garden last weekend, but I wanted to wait until the temperatures cooled down a bit.

Lettuce Soil Blocks in Tray

Yes, I did say cool down a bit. In fact the lettuce had to come INSIDE during the daytime because were near 80s for a few days in the early part of the week. Normal temperatures for us this time of year are usually in the mid 50s. I returned the lettuce outside at night to continue hardening off during this hot spell.

The lettuce was finally transplanted this week.

Mixed Lettuce

Mixed Looseleaf Lettuces and Arugula

Unfortunately, the lettuce seedlings are much larger than I like. The larger size made it difficult to transplant as both the foliage and roots were tangled together. Some are looking pretty limp. I hope they recover.

10 comments:

  1. I brought my lettuce inside too during the bad heat. I left it outside yesterday though. It got to 80. Today I'm going to plant it. The predictions are for rain and more rain. I'm hoping for 2". We really need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that yesterday was so hot and humid. We are supposed to get some much needed rain this afternoon. I am thinking about planting some potatoes before it begins. It looks and feels like rain this morning.

      Delete
  2. If the weather has cooled down and they have lots of water - those plants will back right back. My lettuce transplants always look a little limp right after I set them out. My lettuces are just hitting their stride (finally!) and we are harvesting small amounts regularly now. Nothing that makes my garden tally weight minimum but then again... it takes a lot of lettuce to make 1/4 lb which is my minimum weight for inclusion (as rounded).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Laura! you are up early this morning :) I hope you are right about the lettuce recovering. We've been salad starved for a while now and some fresh greens would be nice.

      Delete
  3. Your lettuce should be fine. I've transplanted larger seedlings and they took right off after a day or two. By planting right before the rain they should settle in fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ed. I watered them well today and they looked better.

      Delete
  4. Your lettuce looks great. It has been hot down here too, but my lettuce is still kicking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once established, most of the varieties I am growing are able to take some heat. They looked so sad after transplanting but are looking much better now.

      Delete
  5. I just transplanted some lettuce Friday evening and today. The weather has been so odd for April, but I welcomed it as I had 4 vacation days last week, and spent every one outside. Well, part of Wednesday was inside because it was so hot.

    Anyway, I suspect with the cool wet weather forecasted this week your lettuces will bounce back beautifully. Hooray Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful last week, but too hot for working in the garden for me. The lettuces are already looking better with the more normal spring-like weather.

      Delete