Thursday, May 3, 2012

We Need the Rain

I have to keep reminding myself now dry the ground was, how everyone was talking about drought conditions and the fire danger these conditions posed. It's easy to forget when it has been miserably cold and rainy for several days in a row and the forecast informs you that sun may be seen on Sunday but not today. I want to pull the covers up over my head and stay in bed.

I like gently waking up in the morning with the sun peeking through my bedroom window. The light dances across the walls and slowly brightens the room until I feel I must rise to take on the day. There is so much to do.

That will be another day. Today I rouse slowly and greet the dogs who are always happy no matter if it is sunny or rainy. They both look at me with pleading eyes as I open the door to let them outside. Like it is my fault that it is raining. I shrug and encourage them to go outside. Millie doesn't mind it much and trudges out to do what she has to do, but Bradie hesitates at the door and needs a little nudge to get her going. I breathe in the cold and damp air and stand ready at the door with a dog towel. We have lots of dog towels lately.

It has been mostly cool, raining or drizzling for over a week. Although this morning it feels like it has been forever since we have seen the sun. We have almost caught up to the "normal" rainfall amount for this time of year. The grass is richly green and tall and in great need of another mow. The trees along the edges of the property are ready to unfurl their foliage.

The apple trees are leafing out and budding. I hope the blooms hold off until the rain stops and the temperatures rise a bit. Not many bees or other pollinators around during cold and rainy days. 

Apple Buds

Overall there is not much to look at in the garden yet. But there are signs that current inhabitants seem to be enjoying the cooler and wet weather:

Garden In Progress

Garlic

Kale and Other Greens

Onion Set Sprouting

Peas

Spinach

Some a little more than I'd like:

Unwanted Guest

22 comments:

  1. Which reminds me I need to put some sluggo out when the rain stops. I don't mind rain. I'm not a big fan of drizzle though or cloudy weather. It pretends to rain on you, but it doesn't really. It doesn't fill up the lakes and reservoirs. It doesn't really water the plants, it just keeps the leaves wet. And like you I have trouble waking up in the morning. Also I'm tried all day long. At least this cold wet weather started with some real rain as we so needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have some sluggo ready to go out as well. In the mean time, I am trying to pick off the slugs as I see them. Some are amazing small this time of year.

      Delete
  2. Drizzle here this morning, putting my entire chore list on hold. I might have known it was going to rain, as I set the automatic sprinklers to go off at 5:00 am this morning! My dogs refuse to go out on wet grass, so they wait at the front door on rainy days. Grandpa will take them out under the pine trees, where it's nice and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bradie hates being wet but loves spending the day outside. She keeps asking for the door, then giving us that pleading look when she sees it is still raining. I swear she is saying, "Please turn it off."

      Delete
  3. We have been finally getting much deserved rain around here in NJ over the past couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe that it has been three or four weeks since we have had a good rain in the upper east of the country. In addition, there wasn't much snow this year so the ground didn't receive the moisture from the runoff. Let's hope the drought like conditions do not continue.

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel -- we so need rain but it's hard to celebrate it when you'd like to avoid being in it. I have come to prefer some cloud, but a sunny day here or there doesn't go amiss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sun just makes me feel blah! I guess I will just appreciate the sun more when I do see it again :)

      Delete
  5. Heavy heavy rains here the past 2 days....including some thunderstorms, which we rarely ever have. We need the rain, but I'm so behind on projects right now. It would be nice if it would rain only at night........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of it rain at night and sun in the day. Too bad we can't schedule it that way.

      Delete
  6. Be thankful for your rain, we finally got a tiny amount today. We got half an inch in all of April. It hasn't rain a single day since my daughter was born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful for the rain. It was very strange to go without rain for so long. It is just that dreary days makes me feel blah. I need to see some sun.

      Delete
  7. We get rain and misty rain quite a bit around here. I much prefer the beautiful sunny days, but have come to appreciate the permission to slow down that comes with a rainy day. ;D

    We have been getting nice weather on weekends followed by a series of cooler and wetter days mid week. Kind of a miracle really as it usually is just opposite of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually receive more rain in the Springtime, but it doesn't usually linger over such a long period of time. Not seeing sun is difficult for me.

      Delete
  8. I may have said this before but our gardens are in an almost identical stage of growth. From garlic to spinach; from lettuce and kale to onions. We're on a very similar track. So if I think your garden is doing great, does that mean I get to think mine is too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as something is growing in my garden, I think it is doing great :)

      Delete
  9. I love your blog. The pictures are great and your plants look so healthy. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. I visited your blog, Frugal Gardening Tips (http://gardeningfrugal.blogspot.com/) and now follow it. You write about some great tips and ideas. I am looking forward to catching up.

      Delete
  10. Love those apple buds- so nice when yummy things are pretty too. We need rain here too! I was trying to remember the last time we've had rain and had to check the weather- 10 days now. Plus it's been upper 80's, not a good combination for trying to germinate seeds. My carrot seed germination rate has been terrible. Hopefully the rain will come soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buds began opening over the weekend and we had a few sunny days. The trees are buzzing with bees and the air is perfumed with apple blossom fragrance.

      I hope you get some much needed rain soon.

      Delete
  11. We have two days of rain coming, but do we need it. I think we are still behind our average. Your greens look so good, I guess the slugs think so too. I love how a little sun will make everything pop after this rain. We have a little dog, and because she is low to the ground picks up lots of interesting things on rainy and wet days. We only need small towels though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a few days of sun that lifted my mood and allowed me to do some much needed mowing and cleanup. Today it is back to rain for the rest of the week. We still need it though, the ground is still quite dry.

      Delete