Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Early June Garden Overview

I usually take some vacation time around Memorial Day in order to celebrate the unofficial beginning of summer and to plant the garden. This year is different now that I am self-employed and work from home. Over the past few weeks I have worked in between freelance projects and thundershowers and eventually transplanted nearly all of my seedlings and seeded the garden.  Mother Nature has cooperated for the most part and provided alternating sunny and rainy days. So far the garden seems happy and is producing new, healthy growth.

First Buds on the Tomatoes

Over the last few days, we were hit by a Nor'easter that dumped at least 8-inches of rain and more showers to follow during the week. Rivers and streams are overflowing their banks, basements are flooded, roads are washed out and under water, and yards have turned into ponds. Coastal flooding is also a problem with extra high tides.




Our sump pump is working hard to keep the water from flooding our basement and we purchased a back up pump to help with the initial overwhelming deluge and it will be used as needed. 

I slipped outside today to check out the condition of the garden and take some photos. The garden is soggy but in pretty good shape considering what it has been through over the last few days:

Potato Bed

Cucumber, Yellow Summer Squash, and Zucchini Squash

Sweet Peppers

San Marzano Tomatoes

Purple Trionfo Pole Beans

Lettuce growth exploded - Glad something likes this weather

Onion and Carrot Bed

Onions, Leeks, Corn, and Peas

Peas finally climbing the trellis.

Day and evening temperatures are much cooler than normal as well.  The last transplants that are still in need of planting are some late germinating Anaheim Peppers, Delicata Squash, and Fastbreak Melons. These are all hardened off and ready to transplant, but I decided to wait until the current weather pattern improves. No need subjecting the young heat loving seedlings to cold and soggy soil just yet. A week delay won't harm them. They won't grow if planted and may die. So they are pampered a bit longer and shuffled inside during nights that are dipping down to the low 40s and placed back outside during the day.

Temperatures are supposed to warm during the week and reach 80s by the weekend. Perfect for the garden this time of year.

19 comments:

  1. We have been soggy but only got about 2" in the last storms we have had. I think most of the worst went either east or west of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you missed most of the rain. Hopefully we can dry out now.

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks very good considering the weather. Your squash and cucs are way ahead of mine. I direct sowed them about a week or so ago and they are just little bitties.

    I've about had it with all this rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I saw some sun today!!

      I started the squash and cukes in soil blocks a few weeks ahead of planting time and they seemed to have adjusted well in the garden.

      Delete
  3. All your plants look really lovely considering all the rainfall. Monsoon is only just beginning here in India and I hope my plants survive the rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I can't imagine how it is to try to garden through monsoon season. I hope your plants make it ok.

      Delete
  4. Your plants look great. Hopefully the weather will clear up and warm up soon. I enjoy the rain, but do wish it would rain once a week rather than all at once and dissappear for a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw some sun today. It was much appreciated after 4 days of rain.

      Delete
  5. Your garden looks great despite all the rain. We got several inches of rain down here and the 10-day forecast Monday was cloudy and rainy every day. Like yours, my lettuce patch has exploded and I can't keep up with it. What I'm worried about are my cucumber and bean seedlings which have just emerged and are at the vulnerable stage. Yours look like they are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ended up with very little sun all week, but today the sun is shining and the garden should be happy. I lost a section of bush beans. They all emerged only to be eaten right down to their stumps. I need to reseed those.

      Delete
  6. Excellent looking garden, your post about the rain sounds eerily familiar. Didn't you have the same issue with too much rain and flooding last Spring? Man I sure wish we would get some rain down here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every once in a while we get a wicked summer storm that dumps a lot of rain all at once. Luckily the garden and most of the yard drains really well. I wish I could have shared some of this rain.

      Delete
  7. I wished I had some of that rain at my house! Your garden is looking good. I am jealous of those potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send some rain your way. We have had enough for a little while. Now the garden needs some warmth and sun. The tomatoes are looking a bit stressed with the extra moisture. Potatoes other hand, seem to be doing really well.

      Delete
  8. We are having a rough time growing peppers, hot or sweet. They grow up well enough in the pots and then sitting in the garden they just don't do much. Everything else is doing alright. *Shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often times my peppers just sit there with little growth until the true heat of summer comes. Then they take off. As long as they are not dying, I wouldn't worry just yet.

      Delete
  9. I know you don't want to hear it but I'm seriously envious of your rain. We're having slightly hotter temps, but it's dry, dry, dry. Everything looks like it's poised to take off when the sun cooperates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy for rain, just not all at once. Everything is exploding in growth right now though.

      Delete
  10. Those plants are going to explode with growth when the weather turns the other direction. We had a seriously rainy week last too but not quite the biblical deluge you apparently were subjected to. I was so happy to see sunshine today and I think the plants were too.

    ReplyDelete