Friday, June 29, 2012

Goodbye Spring...Hello Summer

Summer was ushered in last week with threats of a heat wave. A heat wave for us is three consecutive days of 90˚F or higher temperatures. In preparation, I harvested the remaining lettuce that was in the garden and seeded the area with bush beans. All the beds were watered really well before the heat hit.

The last of spring crop of lettuce:


We didn't end up with an official heat wave; temperatures were 90s˚F the first day and high 80s˚F the following days. It was very humid though making it really uncomfortable. Then we were hit with some severe thunderstorms with wind and a lot of rain over the weekend. Luckily, not much damage to the garden but the wind and heavy rain flattened my potato bed. We are heading into another hot spell with more thunderstorms this week.

The garden has responded to the heat and rain by growing in leaps and bounds. The Snow Peas and Green Arrow Peas have reached the top of the trellis and are beginning to form pods:


The peas will be pulled once they are finish to provide more room for the corn growing in front of them. I was most surprised by the corn's growth that almost doubled in 24-hours once the heat hit: 

The pole beans are beginning to climb the trellis netting:


The peppers were sulking before the heat and now have greened up and are sprouting some new growth:




We will soon have some yellow summer squash and zucchini:



Fastbreak Melons are beginning to vine and bloom:


The tomatoes are looking healthy and are filled with blossoms and teeny tomatoes:




I love the garden this time of year. Everything is usually so lush and healthy and so full of promises of harvests to come.

12 comments:

  1. Everything looks so nice. I'm very jealous of your Fastbreak melons. Mine didn't do a THING this year. I'm not sure I'll have enough time to reseed, so this will be a melon-less summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your Fastbreak melons. I would try reseeding. There still may be time because they seem to grow fast once the heat hits.

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks great! It is certainly fun to anticipate the warm weather crops, especially the tomatoes. Your summer squashes look about the same size as mine, hopefully there will be many to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for summer squash right now. I am already anticipating meals that include them. In a month or so, I will probably have too many to deal with. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I picked a lot for last weeks heat wave. I picked what was left for this weeks one. I'm so sad to have no more greens left in the garden. Well chard, but that can take the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still enjoying salads every day. It is sad to not have any more greens in the garden. I planted some lettuce seeds in pots in the shade. I was surprised to see one of my chard begin to bolt this week. Usually they last all season. The rest seem ok so maybe it was a fluke.

      Delete
  4. Oh so pretty, too! It's always sad when one has to pull the last of the lettuce, it's so beautiful. Some of mine is screaming to be pulled out, but I keep hoping it will last just a little while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad to harvest ALL the lettuce. I too think it is so pretty and like having it in the garden. Unfortunately, this batch would have turned bitter and bolted once the heat hit. It had been through enough abuse this season. I still have several bags of it in the refrigerator.

      Delete
  5. Your lettuce was such a pretty bunch too, but you were probably wise to get them out before the heat set in. All your crops are looking good, but isn't it amazing how much faster everything grows once it warms up? We are still being cool and gloomy most days and my peppers are definitely pouting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer has definitely arrived in your garden! My potatoes have fallen over too. It won't be long until I start digging them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks great, and I like your black plastic in your beds. I did all mine that way this year after seeing yours last year and it sure is nice to not have to worry about weeds. I even put it in my traditional garden area.

    Do you save the plastic each year or do you trash it? I was thinking about trying to save mine, but wondered what would Rachel do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks great. This is a time of transition. I also will miss the salad greens, but bring on the green beans and squash, the cukes and tomatoes. You won't have to wait long.

    ReplyDelete