Monday, June 11, 2012

Harvest Mondays: June 11, 2012

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

The garden transformed after four days of heavy rain early last week. The lettuce, spinach, and kale all enjoyed the cool and wet weather and were in great need of harvest my mid-week.




Still lots and lots of lettuce harvested from the garden right now. I keep a big bowl of salad in the refrigerator so that it is easy to scoop out portions for lunches and dinners. Usually when harvesting lettuce I trim a few outer leaves from each plant. 



After last weeks cool and rainy weather, the oakleaf and black seeded simpson lettuce exploded in growth requiring me to cut out several heads to allow the remaining plants to stretch out a little. I will need to keep my eyes on this bed, as the lettuce may be ready to bolt.



Some new items were harvested this week to add to salads. Some green onions, celery, chard, dill, and parsley were added to a macaroni salad:



Some of the same was later harvested to add to our steady green salads:



As I began trimming the spinach leaves I soon realized that some of the plants were beginning to bolt. The others looked like they would soon follow. I harvested all I could and pulled the plants. It was a great spring for spinach and I can't wait for it to return in the fall garden.



Some of the kale foliage was looking a bit chewed. Upon closer inspection I found cabbageworms. I salvaged as much of the kale as I could and pulled the plants. The leaves were then soaked in salted water to kill any cabbageworms, then double rinsed, trimmed, and carefully inspected to be sure no sign of the worms remained. I hope I remember to grow kale under a row cover next time.



Bush beans were planted in the areas where the spinach and kale was pulled. I am looking forward to trying Black Valentine bush beans this year. It is a pre-1850s heirloom that can be used both fresh and dried.

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week. 

22 comments:

  1. Definitely a transition period right now - the greens are still lush and producing but they are obviously giving way to the summer crops. We are swimming in lettuce right now but I can tell some of those I have been harvesting from for weeks now are getting tired and likely will start getting bitter and/or bolt. Luckily I have some young plants growing that should provide a next generation if the weather does not suddenly get wicked hot (not likely in our area).

    Your harvests this week look great - the plants obviously really enjoyed the many days of soaking rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just seeded some lettuce in pots and will move them to a shady area when the heat of summer arrives. Hopefully this will keep us in lettuce once the tomatoes begin to ripen.

      Delete
  2. That is some beautiful lettuce. My lettuce is long gone; won't grow much past April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lettuce probably wont last much longer, but we are enjoying it while it is here.

      Delete
  3. The greens are obviously loving the weather. It is bound to get hot so hopefully they don't suddenly bolt from the contrast in weather. We too are enjoying having a bag of fresh salad greens in the refrigerator. Speaking of spinach, when do you plant your fall crop? I bought seeds this year for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am probably not the best person to give advice on this. Spinach is tricky for me. I try to start seeds under lights in soil blocks and get them into the garden as soon as they begin showing their true leaves. Last year it was at the beginning of September. Unfortunately, I wasn't counting on hungry deer mowing them down. They never recovered.

      I am going to aim for mid-August this year and protect them from deer by growing them under protection.

      Delete
  4. Your lettuce looks wonderful and I miss that kale this year. I tried another variety and did not like it nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky, this is the first time growing kale and I did like the flavor of Red Russian. I am going to miss it and I hope I can grow some in the fall.

      Delete
  5. That lettuce looks so good. All of mine is bolting right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the lettuce is close to bolting.

      Delete
  6. Great looking greens, I always like looking at your pictures. They are so professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris! I can't wait to add more variety though. It seems I have been harvesting greens for so long.

      Delete
  7. Russian kale is by far my favorite. So prolific too! Not bad having lettuce left to pick that hasn't gone bitter. :)

    I think I might go ahead and try to plant some on the east side to see if it will grow during summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first year growing Russian kale and I absolutely love it. I can't wait to try it again in the fall.

      Delete
  8. All of your harvests look great. I am experimenting with getting lettuce farther into the summer, but it is a struggle; I have one last patch that is already turning bitter tho its' only about 4-6 inches tall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to keep lettuce going as long as I can. I have just started some seeds in pots that I can move into the shade, so we will see. It is rare we have lettuce growing when tomatoes are ready.

      Delete
  9. Your greens look great. Ours bolted 2 months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a later start but they will probably be bolting soon.

      Delete
  10. Your lettuce looks sooo good. I miss lettuce! I'm trying to plant a heat resistant variety in the shade, but they are still really tiny right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lettuce, but I am looking forward to more variety right now. The lettuce will probably bolt soon.

      Delete
  11. what lovely greens. I think I eat better during spring and summer than any other time of year. You certainly make the case for rainy weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as though I got an extra spinach harvest thanks to the cool, wet weather. Although now the tomatoes, peppers, and melons would like some heat.

      Delete