Monday, July 9, 2012

Harvest Monday: July 9, 2012

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

It has been really hot lately even here in Maine compared to what we are used to.  I hate to complain about the heat especially since so many have suffered so much worse over the past few weeks. We have also had a lot of thunderstorms that have dumped a good amount of rain. The garden loves the heat and is happily growing. Much more variety was harvested from the garden this week.

Just enough Green Arrow Peas were harvested and cooked up as a side dish. I am not a big fan of peas, but K loved them:

Green Arrow Peas

Green Arrow Peas - shelled

Snow Peas

The Zucchini and Yellow Sumer Squash have made their appearance. They are sizing up really fast in this heat. So far I am keeping up with harvesting them young but it is inevitable that some will get away from me soon:

Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash

The mixed basket below was added to the lettuce still in the refrigerator for some nice salads.

New Zealand Spinach, Swiss Chard, Celery, Scallion, Summer Squash

The New Zealand Spinach was added to salads for some crunch and texture, but I have to admit it didn't have much flavor. I will try it sautéed with olive oil and garlic next harvest.

The garlic is looking a bit ragged and will be ready for harvest soon. I pulled one to see how the bulbs were sizing up. This one was pretty good sized:



More potatoes were dug from the plants. These were much larger than last week's so hopefully there will be lots of good-sized potatoes come harvest time: 

Kennebec Potatoes


The potatoes were sliced up, and cooked in a foil packet on the grill along with some garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. In an effort to keep the house cool, we've been grilling out a lot lately.

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

29 comments:

  1. Looks like your garden is doing quite well, there is no way peas, lettuce or spinach would make it in the heat we have been having! I can't believe you are getting some this late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Maine, we plant our peas the 3rd week of April and July 4th is the goal. The lettuce was harvested several weeks ago before the heat and may not last much longer in the fridge so it is a race to eat it up. New Zealand spinach isn't really a spinach, but a leafy green that is supposed to love summer heat. We will see.

      Delete
  2. It all looks great, even with the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the garden is loving the heat. The gardener on the other hand can't take the heat and is spending a lot of time inside in air conditioning.

      Delete
  3. I complain about the heat anyway. At least our heat isn't so bad it kills the plants. When we get heat the summer plants just love it. I hate it, but my melons are in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the garden is very happy with the heat especially if there is plenty of water to go with it. I can't believe how quickly things are growing. I can't stand the heat. I feel like I am forced to stay inside in air conditioning when I want to be outside in the garden.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful looking harvest! I'm sure that heat and rain are really making things take off for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is amazing to me how quickly the plants transform and begin producing with the right elements.

      Delete
  5. What a nice variety! I wish I had peas to go with my potatoes, but mine are long gone now. The heat we're getting now is making my melons grow really fast, just like Daphne's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one more potential pea harvest then they will be pulled. The corn growing in front of the pea plants is in great need of more room. I spotted my first baby melon today:)

      Delete
  6. A nice, varied harvest for the week! I'm a bit surpised you still have peas in July, even in the Northeast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an old Maine tradition to have salmon and peas on the 4th of July. We plant our peas on Patriots Day (3rd week of April) and they are ready for harvest around the 4th of July around the same time salmon would journey up Maine rivers to spawn. Unfortunately, there are not many wild salmon anymore, but the tradition of salmon and peas on the 4th of July continues.

      Delete
  7. You do have a nice variety of vegetables coming from the garden. I don't grow shelling peas, even though I do
    like them, they just take up too much space for what they produce. It's so nice of you to grow them even though you don't like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't grow many peas. Just enough snow peas for snacking and several stir-fries and a small row of shelling peas because I had some seeds and trellis space. I agree, they take up a lot of room for such a small harvest.

      Delete
  8. Very impressive! Everything looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice harvest. I'm jealous of your summer squash. Mine are just thinking of flowering. I appreciate the comments on heat. Sounds like you maybe don't have whole house air conditioning. We don't, just a window unit for the bedroom. We're not supposed to get this kind of weather in New England but it is becoming the norm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started the summer squash and zucchini early this year, about 4 weeks before planting out after our last frost date. It really seemed to give them a head start. We stay cool with three window unit air conditioners. One downstairs and two upstairs. Our bedroom and office is upstairs and it gets really hot during the day with the sun beating on the roof. I like being comfortable but I hate being cooped up in the house. The air conditioners seem so loud and I miss the sounds of birds and fresh air.

      Delete
  10. Excellent harvest, love the peas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking harvests, especially the peas. I posted a link to your blog on my food strainer review. I hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I don't mind. I must have missed it. Off to visit now :)

      Delete
  12. really lovely harvests! I miss my peas already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the time for peas is very brief.

      Delete
  13. Really beautiful harvest! Our peas are all done but I saw some going for second round of blooms so hope to have some for snacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our peas are finished now. The latest heat wave did them in for sure.

      Delete
  14. Wow. Your garden harvest is really looking great! We are just getting our first heat of the whole year this week, so my garden is behind your at this point. Keep an eye on those squash...before you know it one will be the size of a baseball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how the squash can hide so well in plain site! I hope the heat gives your garden a kick and it starts producing for you.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete