Monday, August 20, 2012

Harvest Monday: August 20, 2012

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

The remaining pathetic carrots were pulled. They took some work to trim and clean. Some were reserved for fresh eating and the rest were canned.


The Sweet Spanish Onions began flopping over last week. Normally, I would have left them a little longer until the tops began to wither and turn a little brown. But they were lying in a well-used path and crowding out the leeks, so they were pulled.

White Sweet Spanish Onions

I am impressed with their growth and know they would have sized up larger had I provided more spacing in between plants. These will be used for salsa and any the rest will be sliced and frozen. I didn't grow any storage onions this year and am already regretting it.

Tomatoes are ripening at a rapid pace. I had enough to make a nice big tomato sauce over the weekend.

San Marzano and Roma Tomatoes

Yolo Peppers, Amish Paste, and Rutgers Tomatoes

We were out of canned sauce from last year. This batch was complete with meatballs, onions, garlic and herbs from the garden. It simmered on the stove for most of Sunday filling the whole house with its aroma.

The beans are producing in spite of the deer damage. Thankfully, the deer ate only foliage. There are still beans on the tops of the trellis. I harvested enough for several meals and canned another batch this weekend.

Black Valentine Bush and Purple Trionfo Pole Beans


Blueberries were not photographed but are still trickling in. Although most of the bushes are finished for the season. I have a few gallon freezer bags full in the freezer. Also missing is a pound of Dark Red Norland potatoes that were quickly dug in the rain for dinner. Zucchini and Yellow Summer squash are still alive and producing, but I have been ignoring them as I attempt to catch up on other things.

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

20 comments:

  1. That basket of sauce tomatoes is just picture perfect. Beautiful!

    Your harvests are coming in despite the deer and and uncooperative carrots. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening sure has its challenges each year. I am pleased to harvest what I can this year.

      Delete
  2. Oh you are so good, harvesting for dinner in the rain. My townhouse mates came over last afternoon and asked what greens I had available. I said I had lots of chard, but it had to be picked. They went to the store to buy some. I had to laugh at them since they thought it was easier to go to a store than to pick my greens in our shared back yard. In their defense it is under a row cover and I think they are scared of the row covers for some reason. They won't go under them to pick things. Which reminds me that I need to get out and pick the chard. It hasn't been harvested in weeks except for small things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty sad that your townhouse mates didn't want to make the effort to harvest the chard.

      Delete
  3. Very colorful harvest. I wouldn't complain about carrots like these and your beans look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Carrots just frustrate me. I grew some nice and straight ones once and have been trying to do so again ever since. Either I have germination issues or they don't grow very large. These were deceptive. They looked like they would be large from the tops, but ended up stubby or forked.

      Delete
  4. Lovely beans. So are the tomatoes and onions. I had some crazy carrots like that too. Hopefully no more ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am so happy to finally have ripe tomatoes. What can I say about the carrots? LOL!

      Delete
  5. Carrots are so bittersweet. Love to eat them, hard to grow them, hate to clean them. My solution: I stopped growing them because I can buy organic carrots here for good prices. Even if I lucked out and got a good crop, cleaning them would have driven me mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Carrots are readily available from nearby farm stands. I gave up on carrots for a while but wanted to give them a try again. I think I learned my lesson.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful tomatoes--so colorful.
    Enjoy the harvests!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrots, beans, tomatoes - so productive this week. Certainly no shame in that at all! I can't wait for carrots again. I need to get my butt busy in the garden, it's sowing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to all come at once. The carrots did not like the bed they were growing in at all.

      Delete
  8. You are a much better carrot grower than I am! I would not consider those pathetic at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do tast good even though they look funny. They were a pain to clean though.

      Delete
  9. Nice harvest! I am a big fan of your spanish onions and beans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great harvest; I have some Triofono but they are not blooming yet, I planted them pretty late. Have not grown them before so will see if I want them next year.

    ReplyDelete