Monday, August 6, 2012

Harvest Monday: August 6, 2012

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.


We've been enjoying an incredible blueberry harvest from our bushes this year. Every morning I pick a small colander full:


The bush beans continue to increase in production and are also picked each day. So far we are keeping up with eating them all, but soon the pole beans will be ready and it will be time to begin preserving the beans.




The Yellow Summer Squash and Zucchini are still going strong. A few got away from me. These were used for Sausage Stuffed Zucchini.


A few melons were ready this week. These are some of the first that formed when the vine was becoming established. They are softball sizes and look pretty ugly, but taste wonderful. They are a perfect size for breakfast for two:


Some peppers and onion was harvested to make Chicken Fajitas.

Jalapeno, Chile de árbol, Sweet Spanish Onion, Hungarian Hot Wax, and Marconi Rosso.

Marconi Rosso is a sweet pepper but the rest are supposed to be hot. Unfortunately they all tasted pretty mild. Hopefully they will get hotter as the season progresses.

The potatoes have begun dying back and they have increased in size each time I have dug up some from the edges of the bed. I can't wait to see what is under ground. These Kennebec and red onion were used for hash browns.


A few tomatoes were harvested this week and more are beginning to turn red. The tomato marathon will probably begin next week.

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

32 comments:

  1. Great photos--such good harvests! Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I love potatoes right from the garden, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! It's pretty cool to just dig potatoes for a meal.

      Delete
  3. What a treat to see what else is happening gardenwise in Maine! Our blueberry bushes are finally starting to bear fruit, any tips on keeping the birds away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the birds. They frustrated me earlier by snatching up the first few ripe blueberries but now there is enough for all of us.

      Delete
  4. Yum, melons for breakfast! Those blueberries look great too. I hope to grow some melons next year. You have a great variety of goodies in the harvests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My melon vines are struggling this year. The cucumber beetles and squash bugs have been numerous and spread disease. I am very thankful for the harvest I am getting.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait for my melons to get ripe. I don't have a lot set, but the ones there are big. Last year they were tiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The melons in the picture are from the first flush of fruitset. These were all smallish, but I have several larger ones that I am watching carefully.

      Delete
  6. Looks just beautiful! Melons! Wonderful! I have a few melons and can't wait til they are ripe. Hope they make it, because yours have my mouth watering. Our blueberries are having a bad year. Yours look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our blueberries were really bad last year. This year is such a different story.

      Delete
  7. Nice harvest. The blueberries look wonderful. Looks like it is time for some blueberry zucchini bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, blueberry zucchini bread..........

      Delete
  8. Those are gorgeous blueberries - and you are getting so much of them too. My blueberry bushes have berries on but they are not ripe yet and don't look like they will be as plentiful as last year. The melons are beautiful too. If the beans pick up the pace and the tomatoes start pouring in - you will be a busy person preserving in the weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think by next week I will be pulling up the pressure canner and jars from the basement to preserve some beans.

      Delete
  9. Maybe I should stuff my zucchini. It has been in the fridge waiting for me to figure out what to do with its hugeness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blueberries *and* melons - what a wonderful harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am envious of your blueberries. Your melons also look great. I like the smaller sized melons since they do not take up space in the fridge, which is at a premium this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also pretty convient to slice a melon in half and eat it up at one time.

      Delete
  12. Blueberries! Yum! Wish my buses were a bit older. Nice looking harvest this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to have some mature blueberry bushes on the property when I purchased our home. They are filled with fruit this year.

      Delete
  13. Blueberries look great, and you have peaked my interest with the sausage stuffed zucchini. Will you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe I used is in need of some tweaking before it is post worthy. Luckily, I seem to have plenty of zucchini to experiment with :)

      Delete
    2. OK I look forward to it.

      Delete
  14. This is the first time that I've participated in Harvest Monday and I am simply amazed at how "pro" you all are with respect to the variety! Love that shot of the blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice. I love beans and blueberries...
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great harvest! I planted my first blueberry bush this year ... it seems to be doing very well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great harvest, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, look at all those blue berries, how exciting. I love the melons too, being perfect for two.

    ReplyDelete