Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard: August 23. 2012

Every Thursday, Robin at The Gardener of Eden hosts “Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard” where we can share posts on how we are using our garden harvests.

Busy weekend in the kitchen again and another case of canned garden goodness was added to storage and a batch of tomato sauce added to the freezer.

All the ripe tomatoes on hand were used to make a big tomato sauce that simmered on the stove all day Sunday. We were out of canned sauce, so I froze this batch because it will be used in the next few months. Since this batch was to be frozen, I also added some home made meatballs and allowed them to simmer in the sauce until they were tender. The freezer containers with the blue covers each contain four meatballs. Perfect for an easy pasta meal for two.

Tomato Sauce

For longer storage, I usually can tomato sauce using the "Seasoned Tomato Sauce” recipe from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving. It makes a good basic sauce and can be doctored up in various ways when preparing your meal.

Most of the carrots shown last Harvest Monday were cleaned, sliced, and canned. A vegetable brush was very handy getting the soil out of all the nooks and crannies. Another batch of beans was canned as well.

String Beans and Carrots

The garlic harvested in late July was trimmed and added to a basket for storage. I will use the largest bulbs for planting later in the fall.

Garlic

This upcoming weekend will be busy as well with more beans and tomatoes to be processed.

Join others at “Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard” at The Gardener of Eden and share what you've been baking, cooking, canning, drying, or how you have used some of your preserved garden bounty.

14 comments:

  1. The preserving seems to never end right now....doesn't it?? Your jars and garlic are absolutely picture perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The preserving has just begun. I seem to have an endless amount of tomatoes on the counter. It's going to be another busy weekend.

      Delete
  2. You're very busy! It's that way around here too. Those single serving pasta dishes will be great for later in the year. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very satisfying to preserve the harvest.

      Delete
  3. I love the process of putting up food in the fall. It brings back memories of childhood and the feelings of safety and security that came from those rows and rows of full canning jars. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does give me a secure feeling seeing all the jars of preserved food on the shelves.

      Delete
  4. So wonderfully organized and preserved. Your garlic looks splendid, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss M. I am in the middle of the preserving process for the year and hope to add lots more to the shelves.

      Delete
  5. My preserving season is so weird this year since I'm not doing tomato sauce or salsa. I rarely have to heat up my canner in the hot days of August. Mostly I'm freezing things here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it must be much different for you this year. Much less work to not have to deal with tomatoes.

      Delete
  6. That's alot of canning! And love all that garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too bad that I couldn't do the beans and carrots together, but they have different times in the pressure cooker. I was lucky to have last years garlic last until early summer. Hopefully this garlic will do the same.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful canning efforts and the freezer packages of sauce with meatballs must be very convenient. I think I need another freezer as I am running out of room and freezing really is my favorite way to preserve anymore. I do need to break out the pressure canner soon and do some carrots and beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather can harvests then freeze if I can. We tend to lose power often and I worry about the food preserved in the chest freezer.

      Delete