Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday's Kitchen Cupboard: August 30, 2012

Every Thursday, Robin at The Gardener of Eden hosts “Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard” where we can share posts on how we are using our garden harvests.

Another busy weekend in the kitchen and more jars of preserved garden bounty were added to storage. First on the agenda for Saturday morning was a batch of Zesty Salsa from the Ball Blue Book. The peppers pictured in last Harvest Monday's post were used along with these hot peppers:


Once the tomatoes were washed and weighed for the batch of Zesty Salsa I found I had enough left over for a batch of Ball's Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce. As the salsa simmered, I began processing the remaining tomatoes for the sauce. With a bit of juggling on the stove I was able to can 12 half-pints of salsa:


 And six pints of Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce:


On Sunday, another case of string beans was also canned. I ran out of the small lids, but was lucky to have some larger lids and some wide mouth jars on hand:


By Tuesday, it was clear that the ripening tomatoes on the counter were not going to wait until the weekend. Early Wednesday morning I began washing and processing more ripe tomatoes for a batch of "Seasoned Tomato Sauce” (Ball Blue Book of Preserving). The sauce was allowed to simmer on the stove most of the day as I worked on a catalog design project (One of the many benefits of working from home). After dinner, the sauce was canned and the jars allowed to cool on the counter. Just a little to the right, the pile of ripening tomatoes continues to taunt me:



Join others at “Thursdays Kitchen Cupboard” at The Gardener of Eden and share what you've been baking, cooking, canning, drying, or how you have used some of your preserved garden bounty.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent work! Can you come work out of my house for a while? LOL! I did get some canning done last week too and will do some more this weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would, but I think I will be busy here for a while. The next batch of tomatoes is ready for processing and the beans haven't slowed down yet.

      Delete
  2. You've been rocking' the canner action there! Labor Day week-end's my traditional time to can tomatoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to do a little each week. Once I have a good amount of sauce and salsa canned, I will freeze the remaining tomatoes for processing later in the winter.

      Delete
  3. I miss those days when I would have been taunted by the tomato pile. It was always a challenge to get the counter cleared before the next batch of tomatoes was picked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's bad when the tomatoes start to make noise at you! Good work keeping up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow everything looks great love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've been busy! All your canned goods look perfect! Those tomatoes certainly don't wait until the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice. All those recipes sound real good. Will have to see if any of them are in my ball blue book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely results. I know how satisfying it is to fill up the cupboard (or freezer). And of course, your photos are always so artistically composed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've been busy -- all those lovely jars of canned food! I'm back in PA, where it's been hot. But I'm hoping for some tomato canning weather next weekend. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite time of year when the harvest is coming in. Green beans in there jars and It's time for tomatoes here. I did get some winter vegetables in. Hope it stays warm!

    Your pantry is getting full.

    ReplyDelete