Monday, September 10, 2012

Harvest Monday: September 10, 2012

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

Cooler nights, reduced sunlight, disease, insects, deer damage, and diminishing nutrients, are all taking its toll in the garden spot. Most of the plants are slowing down and are looking very tattered and tired.

Peppers are still going strong thanks to some really warm weather. Last time I showed peppers for Harvest Monday I mentioned that it is very rare for my peppers to ripen. Within only a few days of posting this I was thrilled to see some color:



Powdery mildew and squash bugs killed the squash, cucumbers, and melons early. I have never had much of a problem with squash bugs until this year. I rescued the last of the Sweet Dumpling squash, and Delicata:



Deer walk through the garden often now munching on random foliage along the way. They ate my bush beans early in the season and continue to feed on the foliage of the pole beans every now and then. Luckily the tops of the pole beans continue to produce and provided me with enough beans for fresh eating and I have canned several cases of pint jars to enjoy over the winter:



Early blight affected the Roma tomatoes near the beginning of the season reducing overall yield. Luckily the first wave of tomatoes that formed was numerous and most of these ripened before the plants completely succumbed. Early blight eventually affected the other tomatoes in the garden as it does every year but there are some fruit hanging in there and ripening every day. The kitchen counter is still piled high with ripening tomatoes. I have several more weeks of tomato processing ahead of me but I know the end is near:




We picked the first small batch of Concord Grapes this week. These were washed and frozen for now but will be used for either jelly or wine.


The last of the corn was harvested. There are a few small ears left on the stalks but they don't seem to be growing. We enjoyed about a dozen freshly harvested ears of corn this year and froze some for later:



Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful harvest despite problems! I've had the same problem with the squash bugs, could not keep ahead of them no matter what I tried. And also struggle with the early tomato blight. The Sweet Dumpling and Delicata look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squash bugs were horrible this year. I scouted and squished them in the beginning, but they multiplied really fast. I think the mild winter contributed to their higher numbers.

      Delete
  2. Oh, your grapes are gorgeous!!!

    It has been an interesting season with all of the gardening challenges we all have faced around the country! However, your space seems to continue to do remarkably well, despite the challenges and frustrations! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Overall it was a pretty good garden year. We ate well and I preserved a lot for winter. Just when we think we understand the rhythm of the garden growth, Mother Natures sends us a curve ball.

      Delete
  3. great harvest. Sorry about the problems. The squash looks great despite. And the grapes are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each year seems to bring its own unique gardening challenge. In spite of these, the garden still manages to produce. For that I am thankful.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful harvest! We've had a lot of pest problems this year too. Frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening is always interesting, that is for sure.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful harvest! I didn't grow delicata this year, but have some old seed. If it grows next spring, then fine and if not, that's fine too; I have other squashes too. Love those grapes. I have a Thompson seedless that makes pea size grapes; I think I must not thin them drastically enough or it's just the poor soil and not enough water where it is. I would like to try some other varities in other spots tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I will grow Delicata again next year. It didn't produce very well this year and it takes up so much space. I'll have to think about it over the winter months.

      The Concord grape vines came with our property. They are at least 20-years old and needed some taming.

      Delete
  6. Such a gorgeous harvest! Love the colorful peppers, squash and beans, and those grapes look like a wonderful juice or jelly to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The peppers will make a pretty salsa.

      Delete
  7. Those are really picturesque peppers! It all looks tasty -- I enjoy watching how the turn of seasons affects people's harvests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peppers were yummy. We used some for fajitas and the rest were frozen.

      Delete
  8. It's definitely been a buggy year! I've had bugs that I have never had before. Hopefully this winter will be normal and kill off some pests and diseases.

    I sure hope the end of canning is near!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too had some bugs that I have never seen in my garden before. I hope for some freezing temperatures to kill off those pests this winter.

      Delete
  9. Those grapes look beautiful.

    This year I had cucumber beetles like crazy. I've never had bad wilt in my garden before, but this year was very very bad. Thank goodness for the butternuts that can grow through anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cucumber beetles were really bad for me this year as well. Then the squash bugs moved in. My poor plants didn't have a chance. I will be growing butternut again next year. They keep really well in the basement too.

      Delete
  10. You still got a great and varied harvest despite the problems. The purple beans are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice harvest. I had ripe peppers for the first time this year and early. However they never produced but one set of blossoms so not sure if it is the variety or the weather this year.

    ReplyDelete