Monday, September 17, 2012

Harvest Monday: September 17, 2012

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

I am amazed at how quickly the seasons have changed this year from summer to fall. We held on to warm temperatures into early September as remnants of a hurricane and a tropical storm brought some humid weather and rain. Since then the temperatures have been lowering rapidly and are much more fall-like.

The nights are getting colder and some parts of Maine are beginning to experience frost. I harvested most of the larger peppers this week:

Quadrato Rosso D'Asti Sweet Peppers

Marconi Rosso Sweet Peppers

Chile de árbol

Anaheim Peppers

Some of the larger bell peppers were reserved to make stuffed peppers this week and some went into another batch of canned Zesty salsa. However, most were sliced into strips and frozen. The strips are easy to use for fajitas and can be chopped down further for other recipes.

Still producing are pole beans, New Zealand spinach, peppers, herbs, leeks, bunching onions, and a few tomatoes still ripening on the vines. Many tomatoes are still ripening on the kitchen counter and a sink full is ready to be processed today into a batch of salsa. Some bush beans that escaped deer damage have produced some dried pods for next year's seed.

The garden has been neglected lately and it shows. Between hot temperatures, preserving the harvest, and graphic design projects there hasn't been time. The majority of the garden is begging to be cleaned up and the grass paths between the beds are in need of trimming. Hopefully I will be able to do some much-needed cleanup this week.

I still need to decide where to plant the garlic and the potatoes are in need of digging. The grapes are in need of harvesting. Although yield will be lower than last year, there should still be enough for some grape jelly.

I did start some fall crops in a 4x4 raised bed. Growing under protection is some kale, kolabri, spinach, carrots, and pak choi. I sprinkled some lettuce seed in this bed, but none germinated. I don't look under the floating row cover much, but the last time I did most of these crops are growing but are showing slug damage. I will take a look again this week.

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

32 comments:

  1. Beautiful peppers! Sounds like you still have quite a bit producing for you as you move into the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peppers seem to hit their stride in August when our summer truly heats up. Then they continue to produce until frost hits.

      Delete
  2. Love the pepper harvest. I have happy peppers but they put their flush of fruiting on late so I may (or may not) get many peppers out of them before the real chilly weather arrives. I am planning to move the jalepeno peppers into the green house next weekend - so they can be kept warmer longer. Big containers though so it will be a difficult chore to do.

    Your garden sounds exactly like mine at the moment. Walkways that are very shaggy, areas that need to be put to bed for the winter, and potatoes still in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a good year for peppers. We had an early heat spell that really kicked the peppers into a growth spurt allowing them to form peppers earlier this year than normal.

      Delete
  3. Great pepper harvest. Seems like just the other day when I was complaining about the heat wave and now worrying about frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how quickly the temperatures turned more fall-like. We were using the air conditioners just a few weeks ago to keep the house comfortable.

      Delete
  4. Love the peppers. Mine 2 are done. I too need to dig potatoes but they can wait in the ground until I am ready to clean the garden up which I am sure will be soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the potatoes will be ok until I am ready to dig them out. However, I worry about critters getting to them before I do. I dug some this week and they were fine and critter damage free.

      Delete
  5. That's a nice amount of peppers you picked this week.

    I hear you on having to let some things slide for a while while other, more pressing, matters are taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to spending more time outside now that the tomato harvests are finally winding down. The time I would normally spend gardening has been used up to can and freeze the bounty that the garden has been providing.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful harvest of peppers, and congratulations on getting some to red! Friends nearby tell me they've already had a couple of nights below 40°, time to change over to flannel sheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rare that my peppers ripen to red so I am thrilled. They taste very sweet too especially when roasted. We had some upper 30s earlier this week so frost is very possible soon.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful peppers! I didn't have anywhere near the harvest you have for peppers this year! I believe disease is taking a toll on them :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran out of frozen peppers last year so planned on more plants this year. In addition, the weather seemed to cooperate resulting in a very good pepper year. The squash and tomatoes were affected by disease though. It's always something.

      Delete
  8. Some of my garden is looking neglected too. I've got to deal with my strawberry bed. I've decided I have to pull out the everbearers as I just don't pay enough attention to them except in June when I'm getting a big harvest. And they are too hard to protect from the squirrels all summer long. So I'll stick with the June bearers for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rethinking my heritage raspberries system as well. I usually leave some canes so they can produce in spring and again in fall. The spring raspberries end up getting eaten by Japanese beetles. I may trim them completely and aim for one harvest period in fall.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous peppers! And you're right about fall coming in fast this year - garden definitely ready for fall changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less humid days are very welcomed. I feel there is so much to do before frost. I can't believe how chilly our nights have become so quickly.

      Delete
  10. The weather changed quickly here too. Though I think frost is maybe a month away here. Those are some lovely Anaheims! They will be great later on. I always freeze some too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel frost can happen any time now. Earlier in the week we had a few nights dip down to high 30s.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful peppers, especially those blocky quadrotto rossi. The midwest weather also changed abruptly after labor day. Two months ago I was enduring the heat and now it's not even reaching 70.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just two WEEKS ago we had the air conditioners on to try to keep comfortable. Now I hope it is safe to remove the window units and enjoy more light in my home office during the day.

      The Quadrato Rosso D'Asti peppers are gigantic. I am so impressed with this variety. They came from Ohio Heirloom Seeds via Granny.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful peppers!! We've had really hot temperatures here too, and I'm hoping that it cools down soon so I can get into my garden which is also showing signs of neglect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't work outside when it is hot anymore. Hopefully you can get out to your garden soon.

      Delete
  13. What lovely peppers! I've had good luck with mine in the past, but this year they're just not producing very well for me. I always planted them in a 4'x4' block before, and this year I did a single row. Many of them got sunburned, and the plants never really took off very well. It looks like they'll be loaded with small peppers about the time it freezes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in love with both Quadrato Rosso D'Asti and Marconi Rosso pepper seeds that you shared from Ohio Heirloom Seeds. They have been pretty consistently successful each year.

      Delete
  14. For a neglected garden, the yield is sure pretty. What will you do with then Anaheims?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden has been pretty much on its own for a while now. I am lucky if I can find the time to run out and pick a basket full of random harvest. The Anaheims will be roasted on the the grill, skinned, seeded. Some used in a batch of salsa. Some will be used to make a big batch of Dan's Green Chili Sauce to be frozen and used on Chicken Enchiladas later.

      Delete
  15. Fabulous peppers - i love your single red Anaheim. I have been sowing a lot of pepper seed and I am hopeful of getting some good harvests - just like yours and I'd be delighted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the only red Anaheim pepper I have ever had. There usually isn't enough time for them to ripen fully in my garden.

      Delete
  16. Amazing. My peppers are scraggly and scrawny. I feel inadequate. LOL. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete