Monday, September 24, 2012

Harvest Monday: September 24, 2012

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

A frost advisory was predicted for a few nights this week. I harvested a lot of the remaining peppers just in case. We didn't end up having a frost, but it was close for several nights in a row:

Yolo Wonder, Horizon Orange, and a few Quadrato Rosso D'Asti

Maybe Cubanelle Peppers?
Maybe Cubanelle Pepper?

The seed package for the above peppers say Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers and it took most of the summer before I realized that these were actually something else. The peppers are more light green than yellow, there is no heat, and they didn't grow upright like Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers. It's a nice pepper, just not what was expected.

The Chile de árbol have about a hundred peppers on the plants but are ripening very slowly. I may need to harvest them green but should still add spice to Tex-mex and Asian dishes:

Chile de árbol

The last of the Concord Grapes were harvested:

Concord Grapes

A few handfulls of raspberries are enjoyed every few days:

Raspberries

I tried growing Back Valentine Bush Beans for the first time this year because of it's versatility as both a snap bean and a dried bean. The deer reduced overall yield but I did get enough for some fresh eating and some seed for next year:

4 oz. Back Valentine Beans 

I attempted to sprout a sweet potato from the grocery store as an experiment. I think my potato was treated with sprout inhibitor because I was only able to get one slip from the whole potato. I planted it and hoped for the best. It began to grow and vine out but then the deer continued to munch on the foliage. Even with the challenges, this pant produced 6 oz. of sweet potatoes:

6 oz Sweet Potatoes

Some tomatoes are still ripening on the kitchen counter but after last week most of my tomato processing is finished. Once ripe, the tomatoes are now washed and frozen to be used later. There are a few good-sized green tomatoes in the garden. I am hoping they start to ripen before frost.

Started fall garden cleanup this past week. It was nice to dig in the dirt again. There is still so much to be done to put the garden to bed for the winter.

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful peppers! Isn't it nice to be digging and playing with dirt again? And you are right, there's still so much to do before winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the harvests are slowing down there is more time to actually tend to the garden. Plus the weather is more comfortable now to work outside.

      Delete
  2. I moved my jalepeno peppers into the green house this weekend - the plants are in large containers and had been growing on the deck. They have lots of young peppers but the nights are getting cooler and cooler. I figured I might get something more out of them if I put them in a more protected environment.

    Your peppers are gorgeous. Don't you hate when plants are not what they are advertised? I just had that happen with some potato seed stock I purchased - the grown out potato is definitely not the variety I had ordered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your jalapeno peppers thrive in the greenhouse this fall. Mine didn't produce very well this year. Thank goodness for the Anaheim and the Chile de árbol or I wouldn't have any hot peppers.

      I had two things produce unexpected results this year: Delicata Squash and Hungaian Hot Wax Peppers ended up being something else. Both seeds packages were purchased from different sources. It is disappointing especially since I agonize about my choices when planning the garden, but what can you do? Each unexpected plant went on to produce very well.

      Delete
  3. I always wanted to try growing yolo wonder, looking at yours I think I should find some seeds ASAP since there are still time to sow them. This is the first time I saw black valentine beans. You grow interesting edibles :). Sweet potatoes and fruits look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time growing Yolo Wonder peppers and they performed very well even in a garden bed that didn't have very good quality soil.

      Also the first time I tried Black Valentine beans…I needed a bush bean and Black Valentine was available and seemed pretty versatile. So I gave it a try. I don't know how they taste as a dried bean yet, but the green beans were good.

      Delete
  4. Those beans look so pretty. And too bad the sweet potatoes didn't give you more slips. I had trouble with one variety from the supermarket, but the other gave me lots of slips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enthused enough to know that I might be able to grow sweet potatoes. I will try again next year using either one that is organic or purchased at the farmers market. I will also need to start earlier.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful peppers. Those beans are really pretty too. I made my own slips last year and did not get much either. But it was enough to encourage me to do sweet potatoes this year and they are doing well. Those are nice ones you got, a pretty color. I had something munch on my vines this year and I buried the chewed vines and they just took off like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same attitude as you do about the sweet potatoes. It was enough growth to encourage me to try again. I am going to have to fine some sort of deer deterrent though. They munched on the sweet potato vines several times.

      Delete
  6. That's a nice looking bunch of peppers, too bad the weather doesn't allow you to keep them on the plants to ripen. How frustrating to spend all that time waiting for the peppers to grow and find that they aren't what you're expecting - at least it didn't end up being something you totally dislike.

    The grapes look delicious and those shiny black beans are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to have more peppers ripen this year than any other year. Most times they are harvested green because I run out of growing time. The peppers that turned out sweet instead of shot were a disappointment, but I'll enjoy the peppers that were produced.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful peppers you have there, I'm also waiting for some of my peppers to ripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope your peppers ripen soon.

      Delete
  8. Those peppers are just gorgeous. And nice experiment with the sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was pleased with my little sweet potato harvest :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely peppers! I'm getting one or two a week to color up for me, and lots of green ones that will probably have to be picked before they are red/yellow/orange and sweet. I've not had that problem in previous years, with the same varieties of peppers. As hot as it's been this summer, I'm surprised the peppers were so late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your peppers ripen up before cold temps come your way. I usually end up with mostly green peppers. This year is very unusual that I have so many ripe ones. which can probably be contributed to the early warm weather we had.

      Delete
  10. Nice variety of peppers. Try buying organic sweet potatoes from the store. I don't think they are treated. However most produce is so old in our local market I have had good luck getting slips off them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice on the sweet potatoes. I will try again next year with organic sweet potatoes.

      Delete
  11. Yum, and pretty pretty (although not what you expected) peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Much nicer bunch of peppers than I got. That does look like some type of Cubanelle pepper, there are lots of varieties. They're good for frying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a mouth watering veggies and fruits. Colorful capsicums are tempted me to have one.

    ReplyDelete