Monday, October 1, 2012

Harvest Monday: October 1, 2012

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is harvesting from his or her gardens in different areas.

The garden has been lucky to escape frost so far. Garden cleanup is happening at a slow pace. We've had a lot of rain the past few days. Dryer and cooler days earlier this week were perfect for digging some of the potatoes. So far the yield is promising to be great:

Dark Red Norland Potatoes

The Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans have bounced back from the Japanese beetle and deer damage and continue to produce and provide some beans for fresh eating:

Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans

My attempt at growing some fall crops yielded a small harvest of Kale and some New Zealand Spinach:

Kale and New Zealand Spinach

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

16 comments:

  1. I wish I were getting your Kentucky Wonder beans instead of my accidental cross. I so love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne, That certainly was interesting that your seeds crossed with something else. I hope you have plenty of fresh seeds for next year so you can enjoy them.

      Delete
  2. Good harvest! Your potatoes especially look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am impressed so far with the potato harvest. I hope to dig more this week if it ever stops raining.

      Delete
  3. That is a really nice looking bunch of potatoes. If I remember correctly you have more yet to dig up? The beans look good too. I am down to just harvesting beans for fresh use as I am swimming in them in the pantry and freezer at this point. I feel like I am wasting the harvest, but we just cannot use any more than that now. I am going to see if I can get some dried beans out of some of them if the weather stays dry enough long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am about 1/3 of the way through the potato bed. It's been raining for days, so I need to wait for another dry period to dig some more. I thought I was finished with beans too after freezing and canning so many and losing two of my bean trellises. But these decided to put out some more and they were good. I am leaving some for seed as well.

      Delete
  4. Its funny I don't get great potato yields growing them over summer but so many others seem to. Yours look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We have a short growing season in my region. I can only grow potatoes during the summer.

      Delete
  5. Nice potatoes, and your beans still look so nice, I am not getting that nice of beans at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am encouraged by the potatoes dug up so far. The beans were a nice surprise. I thought they were finished and was waiting for some to dry for seed, but then the vines put out another bit of growth.

      Delete
  6. Nice looking potatoes. If it ever stops raining here I need to get mine harvested and get the clean up underway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice looking potatoes beans and greens. Looks like you'll be having a good meal with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know how I feel about kale. Kale and potato soup is really good. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely potatoes! We're hoping for a late fall harvest of ours... we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  10. More potatoes yet to dig. Good for you! They'll keep you through the winter. I do like seeing you in person, as you see us now too! Enjoy the green beans and we're holding out for a late first frost with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your potatoes and kale look great. I bet they tasted wonderful!

    ReplyDelete