Sunday, December 2, 2012

Catching Up

It has been a while since I have blogged about the garden. I've been tied up with some graphic design projects that ate up all my time. I was very thankful for the work, but it did have an effect on the rest of my life for a while including fall gardening and blogging.

Back to the garden....The first frost hit in mid-October. At that point, most of the garden had been cleaned up for winter. Still producing were leeks, green onions, carrots, kale, spinach, pak choi, celery, and herbs oregano, chives, sage, parsley and thyme. These continued to produce unprotected until mid-November when nighttime temperatures reached the 20s for several nights in a row.

I pulled the fall carrots just before the ground froze. I wish I had planted more. For me, fall carrots seem to grow much better than spring. They taste better too. Note for next year.....plant more fall carrots!!!



I enjoyed some pest free Kale until it eventually was affected by the freezing temperatures. I am sure the Kale would still be alive if I had provided some protection:



Green onions and a few small leeks are still being harvested as needed:



I managed to dig most of the remaining potatoes. When I dug potatoes for Thanksgiving's meal, most of the ground was frozen except for the area in the potato bed that was mulched with hay. I had to lift off a sheet of several inches of frozen soil to reach the potatoes:



I did find time to plant garlic in one of the 4x4-raised beds and mulch with shredded leaves:



Thanksgiving dinner included many vegetables from the garden including carrots, celery, potatoes, squash, garlic, onions, leeks, and herbs such as sage, parsley, chives, and thyme.

The garden still has some leeks, green onions, and about a two foot patch of undug potatoes in the ground. It may be too late to dig these up before winter. Today the ground is covered by a light dusting of snow. Overall yield for potatoes was good. I will post an update at a later time once I tally up the harvests.

9 comments:

  1. My fall carrots did way better than my spring planted, too. I pulled the last of them last week, after a few light frosts, and they were so much sweeter than the early ones. They also didn't suffer the nematode damage like the spring carrots did. I'll definitely be planting more fall carrots nest year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow each year I forget that fall carrots grow very well for me. Hopefully next year, I will remember to seed every time an area open up.

      Delete
  2. You know, I found myself wishing I'd planted a lot more fall carrots too. They did so much better than the early ones and I had the room for many more, but I ran out of seed (and energy I guess!) Sounds like you had a very successful garden this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too run out of energy and ambition once fall arrives. Hopefully, I will remember to plant carrots next year.

      Delete
  3. My fall carrots usually do better than my spring ones. I still love the spring ones though as I miss the carrots once they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a while since I grew fall carrots. I forgot how well they grow and how yummy they taste. Hopefully, I will remember next year.

      Delete
  4. We've been busy with other things too this fall. After the main harvesting season, we slowed way down in the garden. Thankfully, the garden is pretty forgiving this time of year. Glad to see you put in your garlic. We at least got that much done. Now we're trying to find the energy to do a little soil amending and we want to build boxes around our raspberries. We'll see how far we get!

    We never seem to have enough carrots. There are a few still in the ground, but they're to small to pick. We'll probably overwinter them. Your Thanksgiving dinner sounds like a giant garden treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to get organized for fall gardening. There is just so much to do to deal with the summer harvest that I think I get burned out with gardening. Then other things got in the way. At least this year I planted one bed of carrots and greens.

      Delete
  5. It's truly a feast to be thankful for when much of it comes from your own garden! I'm late getting caught up, but wanted to wish you Happy Holidays. -Jean

    ReplyDelete