Thursday, December 6, 2012

Not Dead Yet

We had some very warm days earlier this week. I was able to get out to the garden yesterday to see what was going on. Since some of our nights have been in the teens, I assumed all the greens were finished for the winter.

I was surprised to see some Kale that was still struggling against the cold temperatures. I harvested some beautiful kale leaves for dinner:

Kale harvest

While I was at it, I trimmed off the withered foliage, pulled the other plants in the bed that succumbed to cold damage, and added a row cover to offer some protection from the increasingly cold nights.

Kale before harvest and trimming. Fencing protects it from deer.

Kale after cleanup.

The promise of another harvest.


I am hopeful that I may get another harvest out of these plants.

Be sure to visit Daphne's Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. OK, maybe I don't know for sure, but I do hope you will. Plus, kale seems to have a way of enduring!

      Delete
  2. Last year my kale all lived through the winter since it was so mild. I'm hoping we get our normal cold winter this year, but I'm also hoping that some survive the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red Russian is such a yummy kale. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had mild weather down here too. I hope it gets cold because last year it was just too warm. Your soil looks so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been nice to get out in the garden while the weather's mild, but I'm with Daphne, and wishing for a real winter this year! Your Red Russian looks great! We also grow Siberian which we assume is even better in the cold...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color of that kale. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kale is such a great veggie to have in the plot, we have such mild winters we grow it all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Impressive journey for a few leaves of kale. Ever tried Dinosaur kale? Believe the thicker leaves may work better for extending the season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last week I got a cutting of kale from my dwarf blue Vates plants. Some look good and some look poorly, so the weather seems to affect plants of the same variety differently. Most of the red Russian kale around the community garden (6a) looks sad, so you are lucky to still be harvesting.

    ReplyDelete