Friday, March 8, 2013

Storage Potatoes Are Sprouting

Early this morning, I set off down to the seed starting area in the basement to water on the onion seedlings and start some herb seeds. It is premature yet for herbs that are planted in the garden, but I like to start some in pots to grow at the sunny kitchen windowsill. This way we can enjoy some fresh herbs earlier. I seeded some small pots with basil, oregano, and chives. I also sowed some oat grass for the kitties, Jasmine and Mysty. Hopefully this will keep them away from the chives.


While I was down stairs, I checked on the potatoes that are stored in the coldest corner of the basement. There are still a lot in storage and are beginning to sprout. I don't know if they will make it until planting time, which depending on how quickly the ground dries out could be 6-8 weeks away.

I did a little research online and found that cooked and mashed potatoes can be frozen. The frozen potatoes can then be thawed in the refrigerator and either baked in the oven or cooked on the stove pot to warm and reduce excess moisture. So I thought I would give it a try. I prepared some mashed potatoes for dinner and included extra to freeze in zipper bags. Has anyone tried this?

5 comments:

  1. I freeze leftover mashed potatoes. They are a bit watery after thawing, but reheating, even in the microwave, is all it takes to make them taste fresh again. I just make sure to stir them a couple of times if thawing/reheating in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've frozen mashed potatoes too (back when I could eat them). They worked pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! I am glad to know that freezing mashed potatoes work. I have almost a paper box full that I would hate to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must admit I've contemplated freezing some potatoes rather than waster them but I haven't got round to it and haven't much spare freezer space

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am having the opposite problem this year. My potatoes are still very firm and not sprouting one bit. I am going to have to move my seed stock into a warmer location to encourage actual chitting.

    I have basil growing as a house plant at the moment, and am loving having it available once again.

    ReplyDelete