Sunday, April 7, 2013

Spring Unfolds Slowly

The beautiful spring came; and when Nature resumes her loveliness, the human soul is apt to revive also. ~Harriet Ann Jacobs

The weather this week has been a mixed bag. It began with temps in the 50s only to return to chilly upper 30s for a few days. The sun is strong and the temps are warm enough that the snow continues to recede. There are only a few patches left in the yard. All in all it is a typical spring in Maine although much later than last year.

The majority of the yard has dried out so that it can be walked on without feeling spongy and spring cleanup has begun. The yard looks ugly, drab, and very messy right now. We had several windy storms over winter that left a lot of debris strewn across the yard. Mostly pine needles and small branches that need to be raked up.

The garden is still too soggy to work in, but I did take a look at the beds now that the snow has melted. The garlic's protective cover of shredded leaves blew away once the snow diminished. I will need to mulch it again. I was happy to see some garlic sprouts have broken the soil.


Garlic

The chives have begun to grow and some scallions are sending up some new green shoots.

Chives

I did take a peek beneath the collapsed hoop and row cover. It looked like some kale and spinach survived and had some new growth. We will see how it does now that the insulating snow cover has melted. Our nights are still quite chilly. I really need to build a cold frame this year.

I started peppers this week using a recycled bakery tray and wet paper towel. Not surprisingly the Anaheim pepper seeds sprouted first. These were fresh seeds purchased this year.




Each cell is layered with a piece of wet paper towel and labeled. I check it each day for germination and to make sure the towel stays damp. Once these sprout, they are carefully transferred into waiting soil blocks and placed under the lights.

8 comments:

  1. We have to keep reminding ourselves that last spring was exceptionally early. 2010 was a very early spring, too, and when I was lamenting the difference in spring of 2011 while I was at Town Hall paying my taxes, the Town Clerk quipped, "This is the way life really is." :-) -Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always so eager for spring. I try to keep reminding myself that last year spring was early. The year before we had an April fools snowstorm. So you never know.

      Delete
  2. They look so tender and babyish. I know it must be difficult to wait for real spring. Just think about how good it is for insects to have that cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is always a bright side to ever situation, isn't there? Hopefully the cold did reduce the insect population. Last year, I had more pests in the garden than ever before due to the mild winter. An early spring also seemed to allow an extra round of regeneration as well.

      Delete
  3. Our Spring down here has been cold and wet too. Winter has held on a lot later then the last few years. I can remember the last two Springs it was like crazy hot and this year we had freezes after April 1st which is rare. We are supposed to have a few days in the mid 80's and I need it so my yard can dry out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be very eager to work in the yard this year. 80s seem so hot to me :)

      Delete
  4. I hope the spring thaw out happens steadily for you now. It's amazing how quickly things go from drab and brown to lush and green once the weather turns the corner for us. Have fun playing with the seeds... it's the next best thing to planting in the garden. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got a cold spell too, but it has warmed up now. We might even hit 70F tomorrow. That would be nice. I've got to get my carrot seed planted soon to take advantage of the warmer weather and the rain that is coming later this week.

    ReplyDelete