Monday, May 6, 2013

Harvest Monday: May 6, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

The garden harvests have officially begun with a little bit of Kale this week:



This is Dwarf Siberian Kale and it has encountered some harsh nighttime temperatures without missing a beat. This small harvest was sautéed with a little bit of olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a splash of balsamic vinegar. It was a perfect side dish for one. Since K doesn't like Kale so this was all mine :)

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

6 comments:

  1. I love kale. It is usually the first green that gets harvested in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to wait until my spring kale was large enough to harvest a few leaves.Unfortunately, my overwintered kale didn't do so well. It survived under protection all winter, then was affected by frost once the snow melted. It's still alive, but I don't know if it will produce much.

      Delete
  2. Kale is such a work horse in the garden. I am always amazed at how much of a weather beating it can take. I just pulled the last of my overwintered kale from the garden beds this past weekend, as it was all bolting to seed and I needed to clear the bed for the tomato patch. I shall miss the kale because the other harvest items available right now are a bit meager, but soon I will be in the thick of the early summer harvests and the kale will not be missed for a while - but welcomed back with pleasure come next fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are incorporating more and more kale into our diet, I'm only getting a tiny bit out of the garden at the moment. Glad your kale is getting through the harsh temps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kale certainly is a reliable workhorse in the garden, food thing it's delicious too. I love your red colander!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, everyone getting harvests but me! :(

    That is what I get for not planting my greens on time. I am waiting to see harvest monday posts with some pictures of some eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete