Monday, June 3, 2013

Harvest Monday: June 3, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

The garden was watered thoroughly by rain on Wednesday. Hot temperatures in the 80s and 90s were predicted beginning Thursday and into the weekend. I ventured out early Thursday morning to harvest all the spinach and kale I could before the hot temperatures turned them bitter or caused them to bolt.

The morning air was thick with moisture. A heavy layer of misty fog blanketed the ground and swirled around the woods trying to escape the rays of sunlight that were beginning to filter through. You could feel that the day was going to be hot and humid.

Siberian and Red Russian Kale

Mixed Spinach

This harvest resulted in one 1-gallon zipper bag of spinach and three 1-gallon bags of kale in the refrigerator.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

21 comments:

  1. Very nice, you have some good sized kale! My fridge has a few bags and containers of the rest of my spinach too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kale and spinach was growing really well during our cool, rainy period. I hope it gives us a few more harvests before bolting.

      Delete
  2. So jealous of that spinach. My spring planted crop has gotten decimated by birds and rabbits. Very frustrating! Yours looks beautiful and luckily you were able to harvest it before you hot and humid weather took hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed some of the spinach is bolting today. I hope some makes it. Sorry your spinach didn't survive the birds and bunnies.

      Delete
  3. THat basket of kale looks amazing, and I bet hte taste of the spinachis wonderful. None of my spinach took this year. :-( LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't have great luck with spring spinach. It usually bolts really fast. So I think the key is to plant a lot of it so I can harvest a lot in a short period.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful spinach and kale. I hope you and your garden got through the heat without wilting too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today was a much more comfortable day. Most of the greens are still looking ok after our hot spell. Some spinach has begun bolting, but the rest look ok so far.

      Delete
  5. That looks amazing! Huge green leaves and no damage from bugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very strange, but I don't have a lot of slugs this year. I think the cold temperatures we had a week ago helped.

      Delete
  6. Nice harvest and no holes in the kale! My spinach survived the heat, how did yours do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I saw some spinach is bolting. I planted three varieties, so hopefully the others are more tolerant to the temperature fluctuations. Kale looks ok so far.

      Delete
  7. You and I think alike. Pick it before the heat takes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The greens were growing so well too. I hope some make it, but I know I will have to pull a few plants later this week.

      Delete
  8. We are able to grow nice greens here in Maine, as yours prove! Do you think the kale sweetens back up when the temps drop following a heat wave?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I don't know. I guess time will tell.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful greens! I love being able to read about gardens thousands of miles away, and feel a sense of neighborly-ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and comment. I too love following blogs with similar interests. I just visited yours and became a follower.

      Delete
  10. The spinach looks delicious. Is it a large leaf variety?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are three varieties of spinach in the photo, bloomsdale, tyee, and giant noble.

      Delete
  11. I was happily surprised about the Russian Kale last year. Once you let it become a bush, it is difficult to consume it all! It has to be one of the better kales, by far.

    :)

    ReplyDelete