Friday, August 16, 2013

Garden Musings: August 16, 2013

It has been a weird August so far. Usually we experience the dog days of summer with warm and humid temperatures in the 80s and 90s. Instead, our weather has felt fall-like with cool nights and cooler and less humid days. As a result, the garden seems to be in suspended animation and production has slowed.

After only several weeks of generous harvest, the cucumbers and summer squash have slowed as well.



I took advantage of the lull and concentrated dealing with the zucchini squash harvested over the past few weeks. I baked several zucchini breads (Chocolate and Regular) and froze the extra loaves for later consumption. The rest of the zucchini was grated and frozen and sliced and frozen to add to soups later on.



We tried a small batch of Zucchini Parmesan last week and liked it very much. I added ground Italian sausage to the sauce. I think we will have it again soon.

I also pressure canned my first batch of beans for the season. Mostly yellow wax beans, but there was one jar of Royal Burgundy.

Deer visited the garden and ate a lot of the Royal Burgundy foliage last week. But the plants continue to grow. The pole beans are now blooming and will begin producing soon.



Some tomato foliage is also beginning to show symptoms of early blight. They are heavy with lots of green tomatoes. I hope they ripen soon.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like my day. I canned beans and baked zucchini bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made chocolate zucchini before and can't believe how good it is.

      Delete
  2. Your plantings look so nice and healthy! I think the cool weather is coming to an end this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I see a lot of mid-80s in the forecast. This should kick things into gear.

      Delete