Monday, August 19, 2013

Harvest Monday: August 19, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

August began with cooler than normal temperatures and garden production seems to have slowed as a result. Here are some of the harvest this week:

Basil Harvested to Make Pesto

Zucchini - The one in the middle was huge.

Pickling Cukes

Cukes that got away from me. Normal size on the bottom for reference. The Chickens loved them.

Dark Red Norland Potatoes

Juliet Tomatoes

Garlic cleaned and ready for storage

Mixed Bush Beans

Warmer temperatures are predicted for this week. This should kick the garden into high production mode. There are lots of tomatoes just beginning to turn red. The pole beans are in bloom and have little beans forming.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

17 comments:

  1. Very lovely pictures of harvest, love the beans, garlic, potatoes, tomatoes and cucurbits - that must be really great meal week for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the fun part of gardening...enjoying the harvest. I love preparing meals based on what it harvested each day.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks so beautiful. That is the prettiest basil I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basil is growing almost as tall as some of my pepper plants. This harvest was made into a very tasty pesto,

      Delete
  3. Great harvest. I hope to get some more pickling cucumbers before the season is done. You have a great variety. Garlic looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be able to can one more batch of pickles. Of course I have to harvest the cucumbers before the balloon in size.

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of garlic - will you use it all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plant a 4x3 foot section of garlic each year and that supplies enough garlic for canned salsa, tomato sauce, seed for planting in fall, and all our garlic needs for the year. This year, I had to compost about three heads as they shriveled up before I could use them.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful harvests. I got one of those huge zucchinis this week too. I'll eating a lot of zucchini bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I check the garden daily and I don't know how I missed this one. Funny how they hide in plain sight sometimes.

      Delete
  6. Those tomatoes look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am extremely impressed with Juliet Tomatoes. K likes them too.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful. Lovely week for you. I'd be combining the tomatoes and zukes and throwing the basil on top after cooking... mmmmm.... I cna't wait until my garden ramps back up. Thanks for the lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed a lovely pasta dinner this weekend with pesto, tomatoes, and zucchini. I love this time of year.

      Delete
  8. This might be the first time in my life I'll say that I'm jealous of someone's basil. Mine has done absolutely poorly this year, and I always forget the dinky little plant is even there... :-/

    Yay for pickling cukes :-) I just made refrigerator pickles for the first time this past week.

    And those tomatoes... couldn't get much more perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basil always seems to do well for me. I interplant it between peppers and tomatoes, ignore it, and it just grows. I am hoping to make one more batch of pickles, but my favorite way to eat cucumber is simply sliced raw with a little sea salt.

      Delete
  9. Lovely harvest and the basil is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete