Monday, August 26, 2013

Harvest Monday: August 26, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

Warmer temperatures returned this week and the garden responded. Deer are now coming into the garden and have eaten most of the bush bean foliage. The plants are still alive, so hopefully will continue to produce. Some of the Kentucky Wonder pole bean foliage was also eaten. I am hoping a strategic placement of a wheelbarrow will keep the trellis out of reach in the future.

Here are some of the harvests this past week:

Eggplant

Beans and Cukes

Dark Norland Potatoes

Mixed Paste Tomatoes

Kale, Summer Squash, and Beans

Yet More Summer Squash


Still waiting for the heavy harvests of beans and tomatoes. We've been eating fresh, but not enough has accumulated to begin canning yet. It looks like September will be busy.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

12 comments:

  1. Great looking harvest, those eggplant are beautiful!! We too are waiting for our big rush of tomatoes, beans and corn. I think this week will be the week, so lots of canning and freezing to come this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only going to get three eggplant out of five plants. These were nice sized and delicious in eggplant parmesan.

      Delete
    2. gorgeous colourful harvest! too bad about the deer damage

      Delete
  2. Lovely harvests! I do hope the deer behave, they can do so much damage in a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The deer are really a problem for my garden this year. They are eating mostly bean foliage, but also munching on chard, carrots, and cucumber. Newly transplanted fall lettuce was trampled as was my parsnip. I am going to have to resort to more serious protective measures.

      Delete
  3. This is your week! Great harvests! I love those gorgeous eggplants! Here's hoping your September makes up for the slow start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of tomatoes turning red right now. I know they will be ready soon. I think I harvested the eggplant at the right time. It tasted very good in eggplant parmesan.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous harvests. What variety of zucchini do you grow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first year growing Cocozelle Zucchini. They are very prolific and I like the color.

      Delete
  5. Oh, you are lucky to still be getting potatoes! I think I need to try staggering my plantings. I'm almost out of Norlands already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually leave the potatoes in the ground until fall only digging what I need for meals. This year, I want to try to dig a little at a time to spread out the labor.

      Delete
  6. Very nice Aubergines. :) Next year I am going to go all out! Get back into gardening. This hiatus to finish all the infrastructure has me antsy to get back to growing food.

    ReplyDelete