Monday, September 16, 2013

Harvest Monday: September 16, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

Last week felt typically fall-like when it began, temperatures were in the 50s requiring long pants and a sweatshirt. Then temps soared to 90s by Wednesday with high humidity. A few days of this hot and humid weather spurred some violent thundershowers and lots of rain. Needless to say, not much gardening happened this past week other than a quick walk through to harvest whatever was ready.

The squash vines are finished and the Delicata Squash was gathered from the bed. A few fruit showed signs of insect damage. These will be used first once the bad parts are cut out. The rest will be placed in storage in the basement to be used over the next few months:

Delicata Squash

One Spaghetti Squash was harvested; there are several others still in the garden but the vines look dead to me. I doubt that they will brighten to yellow. So I'll have to enjoy this one.

Spaghetti Squash

Anaheim Peppers began turning red this week:


Lots of tomatoes are coming in every day. My kitchen is in constant tomato rotation: Ripe tomatoes are sorted out and dropped into the sink for a soak and wash, then stored in freezer bags and placed in the chest freezer. Almost ripe are pushed to the end and the newest harvested tomatoes are spread out on the counter to ripen further.



We are eating lots of fresh salsa and sharing jars for Football Sunday:

Anaheim and Jalapeno Peppers

Raspberries are beginning to ripen. Last year, Japanese Beetles and wasps ate most of the ripe berries. Cutting all the canes in spring and allowing new ones to grow pushed the everbearing raspberries to produce mostly at the end of summer and into fall when most of the beetles are gone. We've been harvesting small handfuls each day, which is enough to eat fresh or add to cereal or yogurt.



I dug up another section of potatoes while the weather was cool and comfortable. I was sad to lose about two-pounds to rodents, but the rest were lovely:


The pole beans show no sign of slowing down. I didn't photograph any harvests this week, but I am still picking every day.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

19 comments:

  1. Great week!! Wow that's a lot of tomatoes. Ours are finally starting to slow down now. I think for the rest of the year we will be able to keep up with them by just eating them fresh! No more preserving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I still have a few more weeks of the tomato glut. The freezer is getting full of ripe tomatoes. I will need to start turning the tomatoes into sauce and salsa and can.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful harvests. I love all those delicatas. I haven't eaten one of them in so long. They always die from the SVB in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Knock on wood* I am lucky to not have SVB yet in my yard. Some of these were really small, but there are so many of them that it makes up for their small size.

      Delete
  3. im jealous of your spaghetti squash! we eat A LOT of spaghetti squash but I was unable to grow any this year :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Spaghetti Squash had about five fruit, but I don't think the others will mature since the vines are pretty much finished. The one pictures is pretty large, so I hope to enjoy it for several meals.

      Delete
  4. That is a great harvest! Beautiful Delicatas! I thought I'd try them this year but only got one very stunted little one. Squash is not my strong suit, but every year I keep trying. So maybe next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have much luck with Delicatas last year. I think I only harvested one or two fruit. This year was better, but the season was very short. Hopefully, next year will be better for both of us :)

      Delete
  5. Great work! The red Anaheim's are nice. I just dried a bunch of red ones last month, not sure if what's on the plants now will make it past green. Have you ever tried starting Anaheim's in mid February? I start a few then and if it is a warm season you will have some turning color in July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up harvesting the majority of my green Anaheim peppers tonight because of a frost warning. Luckily, I love your Green Chili Sauce :)

      Thanks for the advice! I started my peppers at the end of March this year and I was thinking of starting them earlier next year to give them more of a head start. Unlike tomatoes, peppers are manageable under the lights. I would love to have some ripen in July.

      Delete
  6. Great harvest. Delicatas are my favorite squash but they have never done well for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my 3rd year growing Delicatas and last year wasn't good. This year was challenging, they had a rather late start in the spring. So considering the season, I am happy with the harvest.

      Delete
  7. How do you like to use the ripe Anaheims? That's one of the few peppers that I like green and I always seem to use them that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my Anaheim Peppers are harvested green. There is just not enough summer in my area for them to all ripen. I usually roast most of the harvest on a gas grill and use in canned salsa . I also make and freeze a large batch of Dan's Green Chile Sauce to use with Chicken Enchiladas throughout the year. Some are also sliced into strips and frozen to use for Fajitas and other recipes.

      Delete
  8. Great harvest. Your baskets full of squash and potatoes and peppers are lovely! And wow your tomato harvest is great! Mine has not been as great as expected this year, good, but not as expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes are still going strong and will keep producing as long as the threat of frost holds off. There were some close calls this week.

      Delete
  9. Your harvests look great! Sooo many tomatoes. I also made salsa this week for football sunday!

    liveintheyard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photo of the Delicata Squash is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete