Monday, September 2, 2013

Harvest Monday: September 2, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

This week was the most bountiful of the growing season so far. Each visit to the garden yielded a harvest of tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, or beans. It was a busy weekend in the kitchen preserving.



Tomatoes are piled on the counter to ripen completely. Some are used for fresh salsa:



Most of the paste tomatoes are frozen for now until I have time to process into canned sauce and salsa.



Basketfuls of beans are harvest each day even from the Kentucky Wonder vines half eaten by deer. A batch of beans was pressure canned and a gallon zipper bag is in the fridge to give away.



I have a large number of zucchini on the counter to make into breads, lasagna, and to give away. The rest will be grated and frozen for later use in baked goods and soups.



Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful harvests. My zucchini looks real pretty, but just isn't putting out any fruits. All of them turn yellow and fall off before they open up. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My zucchini looks awful right now. It is covered in powdered mildew but is still producing a few zucchini every couple of days. Crookneck squash only gave me two fruit this year and it doesn't look like it will produce any more.

      Delete
  2. You always have great photos of great looking veggies! Love those zukes in the clover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! I wish more of my lawn was clover. It always stays green and doesn't need to be mowed as often.

      Delete
  3. The colors in the first basket are just beautiful, as well as the rest of your harvest! I sure do love the purple beans! Your salsa looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my favorite harvest basket. I have to remember to bring it each time I visit the garden or I'll end up using the bottom of my t-shirt.

      Delete
  4. The color in that basket is amazing. That's what the harvest is all about!I too love that picture of the zukes laying on the bed of clover. It stays green and the bees love it too! Happy harvesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grow a striped Italian zucchini too that gets very big. They have been yielding very well this year. I have been picking lots of beans too, though my purple pole beans are round and yours are flat, what is the variety? They look pretty. I like baskets for harvesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How organized you are with all of your produce. I can't tell you how many times I've meant to do things. It's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete