Monday, September 23, 2013

Harvest Monday: September 23, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

Happy Fall! It was a close call last week for the garden. For two nights we had a frost warning for our area. Usually when frost hits I am ready for it. But this frost warning was weeks earlier than expected. This combined with the garden's late start in spring due to the colder than normal temperatures threatened to reduce my yield of tomatoes by half. I had a lot of fruit on the vines waiting to ripen.



I harvested all the partially ripe tomatoes and all the peppers just in case:







I also snipped a lot of basil. Basil is so sensitive to cold temperatures that I didn't want to risk losing the plants. I combined the basil with garlic and olive oil to make pesto that was frozen for later consumption:



The weekend was a busy one as I attempted to tackle the glut of tomatoes and peppers. Some tomatoes were used along with peppers, onions, and garlic to make two batches of canned Zesty Salsa. I also made a double batch of Dan's Green Chili Sauce and froze it. Even after all this, I still had six more pounds of peppers to process. I ended up reserving some for fresh eating and cutting the rest into chunks and freezing them.

The ripe tomatoes were washed, placed in zipper bags, and frozen for now. I will turn them into sauce later...or rather sooner than later as our chest freezer is officially full right now with mostly tomatoes.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

12 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't get the frost! But your loads of veggies look great! Hard work I am sure! It sure has been a much milder summer hasn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I was in the kitchen all weekend, but I am pleased with the amount of food I preserved for later consumption.

      Delete
  2. Yay! No frost!

    It certainly feels like autumn here, too. Our temps plunged by nearly 30 degrees practically overnight! I'm glad you mentioned the basil, as mine has been growing neglected for quite some time, and I'd be quite unhappy if I didn't at least get one batch of pesto in the freezer. As much as I hate to think of all my peppers freezing, I don't know what on earth I would do with them anyway. I have no spare room in the freezers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today definitely feels like fall. I have been harvesting peppers sparingly hoping the would ripen to their colors. I had to harvest them all at once and green because of the frost threat.

      Delete
  3. So glad you escaped the frost! It was way too early! Your tomatoes look beautiful and I can only dream of peppers and basil like yours this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how many peppers were on the Anaheim plants until I was raking my fingers through the plant to harvest whatever I could in a few hours before sundown the night of the predicted frost. The sweet peppers are in the large stainless steel bowl. I was disappointed that they didn't produce much this year, but it still ended up to be a good amount.

      I plant basil here and there throughout the garden and pretty much ignore it except to snip some when needed. I ended up with a rather large harvest that was turned into pesto.

      Delete
  4. Are you getting frost warnings tonight too? It is predicted to be in the 30s here. High 30s, but then you are much farther north than us. I hope you get more time. I'm sure the frost won't hit here. But I'm liking the cooler temps. It has been too hot recently and I like the predicted 60s for the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 37˚F is our predicted low tonight. Not low enough for a frost but very chilly. Today seemed very fall-like, but I worked most of the day and couldn't enjoy it.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous tomatoes, as well as the rest of your harvest! What kind of paste/saladette tomatoes are those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small paste tomatoes are Juliet. I grew them for the first time this year and love them. They produced first and continue to be very prolific late in the season.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful tomatoes you have there, glad frost didn't hit your area, and that's a lot of work to put up all those produce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cats and kittens! That's a huge harvest! You must be so pleased with your beautiful bounty.

    ReplyDelete