Monday, September 30, 2013

Harvest Monday: September 30, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

The garden has been a little behind normal all season. Thankfully, frost has held off for now and we have enjoyed a lovely fall allowing most things to mature. Below are some of the harvests we have enjoyed this week:

Fall lettuce is growing slowly, but there was enough to clip a few tender leaves for a sandwich topping:



The fall Swiss Chard is beginning to size up. Unfortunately, keeping the deer away from it has been challenging:

Swiss Chard

The partially ripe tomatoes harvested before our frost warning last week ripened quickly on the counter over this past week. Our chest freezer in the basement is full, so I processed and canned my first batch of sauce for the season. There are so many more tomatoes still in the garden. I am harvesting a little each day. The majority will mature if we are granted a few more frost-free weeks. Luckily the forecast seems to be in our favor.

Amish Paste Tomatoes

Juliet Tomatoes

So many peppers were harvested last week before frost. Most were made into Salsa and Green Chili Sauce, but some ended up in the refrigerator. I finally seeded, chopped, and froze these this week for later use:

Peppers Ready for the Freezer

Pole beans are still producing. There has been plenty for fresh eating and I may be able to harvest enough this week for another batch of pressure canned beans to add to storage:

Trionfo Violetto and Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans


Raspberries are delicious this year and are producing a few handfuls each day:

Heritage Raspberries

I found some halfway decent apples on our trees. I consider this a bonus harvest. We didn't spray the trees this year so most of the apples are affected with various molds and pest damage. I was looking for some apples to feed to the chickens when I found these that didn't look too bad. Once peeled and trimmed a little they were perfect for making a small batch of applesauce. I hope to harvest more this week:


Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous harvest! Love the 'bonus" apples and can only wish ours would already start producing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to find these. Most of apples feed the wild life as they are usually too infested with pests and mold to consume.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful. Any apple even if you have to pick around a little is worth it, and you've got yourself a whole basketful! ;-) Those tomatoes are lovely, too. If you have that many more in the garden I envision a few hours in front of the stove for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, I've been washing and freezing the tomatoes as they ripen, but the freezer is now full. I will be busy over the next few weeks getting these turned into canned sauce.

      Delete
  3. I sure do love homemade applesauce (or pear sauce--same idea, using pears.) I am glad you got enough for that. It's a nice bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what kind of apples these are, so I wanted to make a small batch of applesauce to taste. It was wonderful so I will be harvesting more to make a larger batch this week.

      Delete
  4. I would have thought gardening in Maine would be a job...we have such a long growing season here in the midwest that I am spoiled...but fall is upon us. Have to say though, my tomatoes are looking like they're getting a second wind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a long period during the winter when we can dream and plan our garden :) Then when the growing season arrives, I try to cram in as much as I can.

      Delete
  5. A beautiful harvest week. Your tomatoes are producing stronger that ours! We have pretty much slowed down to a dribble now, other that the cherry tomatoes which are still going strong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomatoes are so late this year but they have been coming on strong over the last few weeks. I am going to be busy.

      Delete
  6. They all look so very lovely. The deer could have my chard though. Ugh. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tomato harvest is wonderful for this time of year! Can't believe it'll be October tomorrow, where did the summer go? Great looking fall chard, mine did not make it past sprouting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, this month flew by. I can't believe I am harvesting tomatoes in October. I am not sure how much Chard I will be able to harvest, the deer are munching on it.

      Delete
  8. Looks great. So many tomatoes still left. I also have some still left on the vines, some are getting split and not doing as well with the shorter days and cooler temperatures, I'm considering taking the rest in to rippen indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am harvesting most of the tomatoes partially ripe. The will ripen inside.

      Delete
  9. Nice harvest, I have a lousy tomato and bean year, tried to grow Amish Paste twice never got more than 10 fruits, I gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful harvests. And I take any apples. I make applesauce from the seconds at the farmers market. Some years they are pretty good and some years there is a lot of bad spots to cut out.

    ReplyDelete