Monday, September 9, 2013

Harvest Monday: September 9, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

I can't believe that September is here already. When I am immersed in graphic design projects there is no time. I have been very busy lately. When I do get a break during the day, I head outside for a breath of fresh air.

First, I visit the chickens and check their water and food. They watch me in anticipation as I continue into the garden with basket in hand and harvest whatever is ready. I often pick some greens or find a cucumber or zucchini that has grown too large. I give these to the chickens as I exit the garden and watch as they enjoy the treat. During this time, I talk to them and observe each one to be sure they are healthy. Once satisfied, I retreat inside to return to work. It is a nice break.

Harvests this week were mostly beans and tomatoes. Lots and lots of beans and tomatoes. Here are some of those harvests:

Juliet Tomatoes

Trionfo Violetto and Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans

Amish Paste Tomatoes


Also harvested but not photographed were zucchini, a couple peppers, and a few handfuls of raspberries that were eaten quickly.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

16 comments:

  1. Your tomatoes and violet beans are so beautiful! I'm sure those chickens love the treats you chuck them from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chickens know when they see me they are going to get something :) It is so funny to see them running towards me.

      Delete
  2. Such pretty purple beans. I've never grown any one that is purple. I always hesitate since they fade in cooking. I like the yellow ones though. Next year I want to grow more wax beans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the purple beans do lose their color when cooked. But they are easy to see among the foliage. The deer cut my wax bean production down this year. I need to protect them next year.

      Delete
  3. I love to grow the purple beans! Makes them easier to find! Your tomatoes and beans look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also find the Japanese beetles don't really like the purple beans as much as the other bean foliage.

      Delete
  4. I love the purple beans!! I need to branch out a bit and try some different types of beans!! Great looking harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Trionfo Violetto produce very well for me and I haven't branched out to try many others once I found these. I do like the flavor of Kentucky Wonder and tend to mix the two together when cooking or preserving.

      Delete
  5. The purple beans are so wonderful looking. My first sowing dampended off. :-( Hoping there is enough time for my second sowing of fall seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a second chance to grow some purple beans.

      Delete
  6. Wow, beautiful tomatoes and beans, I might have to give Juliet a go next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Juliet! They were the first tomato to turn red and branches are still filled with lots of fruit.

      Delete
  7. The Juliet tomatoes are incredible. I think I'll have to give them a try next year. I tried San Marzano for a paste tomato this year and the results were less than impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had less than stellar results from my San Marzano this year as well. I am getting some, but not the poundage I am used to. I love the Juliet tomatoes. They are quite versatile. We use them both fresh and cooked in pasta meals and as a pizza topping.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! Amish Paste is such a great paste tomato, it did really well for me last year and it's great tasting. I couldn't get any of my saved seeds to germinate this year so I'm growing a different paste tomato. Next year I'm getting more seeds for Amish Paste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried growing Amish Paste for the first time last year from seeds shared by Daphne. The soil it was growing in wasn't the best, but it still grew vigorously and produced some lovely and meaty fruit. This year, I have it planted in a better location and it has happily climbed the trellis and produced so many tomatoes of all different sizes.

      Delete