Thursday, September 12, 2013

Not Many Hornworms This Year

In a demented sort of way, I was looking forward to finding hornworms on my tomato and pepper plants this year. Instead of drowning them in soapy water, I could feed them to the new flock of chickens and add a little protein to their diet. As fate would have it, this year only a few hornworms were found.




This one did some damage before I spotted it. I dropped it into the chicken pen and the chickens enjoyed chasing each other for a bite of the tasty morsel.




This hornworm disappeared quickly and the flock looked to me for more. I searched but couldn't find another and gave them some kale instead.

5 comments:

  1. I only found one this year and I don't think it lasted very long before a bird swooped down and got it, because I disappeared.

    Liveintheyard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one year I had so many that I was finding several every day. Strange to only have found a few this year.

      Delete
  2. We don't get hornworms - what type of butterfly/moth do they become?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hornworm turn into a spinx moth (http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/field/hornworm.htm) also referred to as a hummingbird moth because is seeks nectar and hovers much like a hummingbird.

      Delete
  3. Your girls are gorgeous! We have a silver-laced Wyandotte_ so lovely.

    ReplyDelete