Wednesday, October 9, 2013

First Frost: October 9, 2013

I wasn't sure I believed the weather predictions that warned that a frost was possible in our area last night. The weather has been rather warm for this time of year. Just in case it was true, I harvested all the peppers, partially ripe tomatoes, and basil I could find.


I let the dogs out at 7 am this morning and it was 30˚F. We did have a light frost last night. I was glad I heeded the warning and brought in all I could.



I will review the damage later today.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty frost. We usually get our first one the last week of October. No frost here yet. Not even any temps in the 30Fs yet. I'm happy to wait. My fall beans are still flowering. They haven't set any, but little tiny ones. I think it will take a while for them to get big with the cold weather. I would love a last harvest. I really should have planted them earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have green tomatoes on the vine that I was hoping would ripen, but I can't complain as I had a great tomato harvest this year. It was late, but it was a good amount. Turns out there isn't a lot of plant damage out there after all. The frost must have been a light one.

      Delete
    2. I'm trying to search for a hardy grape vine for here. They make wine in CO. :) Also I know they had a bunch of vineyards in the fingerlake region of NY, when I lived in Syracuse. After mowing... I see plenty of room for edibles!

      Delete