Monday, October 14, 2013

Harvest Monday: October 14, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

The early autumn colors surrounding our property were brief and rather dull this year. The leaves are beginning to pile up around the edges of the yard and will be gathered this week to fill the compost bins. The cooler fall weather had me craving stew. Some Parsnip, Celery, Green Onions, Carrots, and Herbs were gathered from the garden and a few potatoes were pulled out of storage for a chicken stew:

Parsnip, Celery, Green Onions, and Carrots

Early in the week, the rest of the reachable apples were picked. We shared half with K's sister. The rest will be used to make apple pie and another batch of applesauce for the pantry:





We had our first frost last week. Tuesday afternoon had me scrambling to harvest all the partially ripe tomatoes, peppers, and basil while K picked all the ripe raspberries:

Heritage Raspberries 

Partially Ripe Tomatoes Harvested Ahead of Frost Warning

Anaheim Peppers
Mixed Sweet and Jalapeno Peppers
Basil

Wednesday morning found everything frost covered. But as the day progressed, I found very little damage to the garden. The frost must have been a brief one. It was enough to take the Basil plants down, but only a few leaves on the tops of the peppers were affected. It is hard to believe that there are still some tomatoes ripening on the vines. Another batch of sauce was made from the never ending pile of tomatoes on my counter.


Several garden beds have been cleaned up and will receive a good layer of mulch before the snow flies. I still need to decide where to plant the garlic this year. Many of the raised beds are deteriorating and will need to be replaced next spring. So I will need to either build a raised bed this fall or chose a spot in the in-ground beds.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

21 comments:

  1. Love the apples and raspberries, and that's a lot of peppers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider the peppers a bonus harvest. I picked most of them last month when we had a frost warning. I thought for sure the pepper plants were finished producing but these continued to grow.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful harvest. Sorry it's neraly over for you. :-( Time to start spring planning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ok with the end of the garden. My freezer and shelves are filled with it's bounty. Winter gives me a break from gardening and allows me to dream and plan for next year.

      Delete
  3. Great that you're still getting such nice tomato harvests! And beautiful raspberries! Do you protect the raspberries at all? We have a patch, but the birds never leave us more than a few berries if we're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't protect the raspberries. I didn't even support the raspberries this year. The poor canes are all bent over down to the ground. The birds have their share, but there are so many berries this year that we are able to enjoy them too.

      Delete
  4. Wow, another beautiful harvest this week! We are all done with the summer crops as we lost them all this week to a frost, so I'm a bit jealous to see you still picking tomatoes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a close call for us this past week with the frost. I am surprised the plants made it through. I know my days are numbered.

      Delete
  5. I think the wet weather will have out paid to any more raspberries for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the wet weather. We've been pretty dry lately which has paid a large part to our lovely raspberry harvest.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful harvests. I really need more apples. I know I don't need more plants, but I have trouble waiting for the ones I do have to mature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to be patient. Luckily, my trees came with the property and they usually produce well every year. Most years, they are so infested with bugs and diseases that we can't eat them. This has been an exceptional year. I am guessing they are almost 40 years old.

      Delete
  7. Great harvest. Are you going to write a post on your stew? I'd love to see how it turned out. I'm need to make a bunch of stew soon, We make large batches and freeze them in individual servings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No, I didn't take pictures as I didn't think my stew would be of much interest. I just chopped everything up, added it to a crock pot, added cubed chicken, salt, pepper, fresh thyme, rosemary, and parsley. Covered it with homemade chicken broth and let it cook all day. Stew is a staple meal in our house in the fall and winter made with whatever veg and meat I have on hand. We enjoy the leftovers for lunch during the week.

      Delete
  8. Your harvest looks great, so many peppers! I just picked the last of our apples and tomatoes, cukes, are about over but I will still get a lot of Kale and Turnips. Your tomatoes look beautiful, still so red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought for sure the peppers were finished last month but these continued to grow. The tomatoes are still ripening slowly. It was a good year for tomatoes.

      Delete
  9. Too bad about the frost. My basil is usually the first thing to go too. Those raspberries look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually grow basil inside on the kitchen window. Time to sow some seeds.

      Delete
  10. Your fruit and veg looks fantastic. Looks a great job. Kelli, Northern Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelli! The garden did well so late in the season. Things are winding down.

      Delete
  11. Lovely produce! I really need to get a garden going! =)

    ReplyDelete