Monday, October 28, 2013

Harvest Monday: October 28, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

It has been a crazy couple of weeks. Design projects have been very demanding of my time. Don't get me wrong; I am extremely thankful for the work I am granted. Just sometimes the hours necessary to hit deadline interfere with normal life.

In addition, we have been busy preparing our little homestead for winter. Wood has been stacked, woodstove cleaned, and chimney swept. Last weekend we gave the lawn its final mow and gathered a nice mix of shredded leaves and grass clippings for the compost bin.

Here on the homestead I have gathered blushing tomatoes daily to bring inside to finish ripening. Even though the weather was warmer than usual and the tomato vines kept going, I knew our frost-free days were numbered. Finally, this past week we have had several frosts that have ended the tomato dreams of taking over the world.

This week's harvest were mostly root crops. I wanted to try growing some different crops that could be used in soups, stews, and roasts. I experimented with growing celeric, salsify, and parsnip. These were harvested this week and roasted along with a chicken for dinner on Saturday.

Celeric

Celeric
Salsify
Salsify
Parsnip

Each could have been better served with a little longer growing time, but overall I was pleased with the results and want to grow again. I will be sure to give each more space in next years garden and plant them earlier to allow them to mature more fully.

This past week frost ended the tomato, pepper, and pole beans for this year. Overall, the tomatoes have produced very well for us this year. I have a freezer full of ripe tomatoes and I have also canned lots of salsa and tomato sauce. I still have a bunch of partially ripe tomatoes on the kitchen counter and in baskets. To tell you the truth, I am relieved that the tomato season is finally over. I need the break.

The Last Tomatoes Harvested Before Frost
Juliet Produced Fruit Right Up to Frost

I will be moving my blog over to a new one soon. I would love it if you would follow me over to www.growagoodlife.com.

Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe that our blog names are now so similar! We should pretend to be siblings. LOL! Or at least start an online gardening company together!

    I've never tried salsify before though I've seen it on several seed catalogs. What does it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I couldn’t believe it when you shared your new blog. I had recently purchased growagoodlife.com domain and was trying to figure out wordpress before going live. I think we have both evolved with our gardening so that it isn’t just a hobby but the way we live.

      I haven't tried the salsify yet, but will share my impression of it when I do.

      Delete
  2. The red stems on the celeriac is so pretty and unusual.

    I know what you mean about the tomato season, I'm getting to that point myself, there's a bunch of different tomatoes on the kitchen counter that I need to figure out what to do with... I really shouldn't complain though, I will miss them dearly when they are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will miss fresh tomatoes too. The fall lettuce is finally ready for salads, but there will be few tomatoes to top our salads.

      Delete
  3. Some year I'll have to try celeriac. Anything that might keep during the winter is good and I hear that it is really good in soups. Soups are my favorite to eat in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeriac needs plenty of water and you need to thin it down to one plant for the bulbs to grow large. Ask me how I know :) Other than that, it is pretty trouble free. It was great in soup this week.

      Delete
  4. Celeriac stores very well in a root cellar, last year mine lasted well into the winter. It's good in a roasted veggie mix, and my family likes leek&celeriac soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to know! I will be growing more celeric next year for sure. We had some in soup and it was really good.

      Delete
  5. Celeriac is a great vegetable, I really should try growing it at some point, but I think I could grow that in the colder months where I am. I sympathise with you about having to deal with all those tomatoes, they do take time and effort but are so worth it. I'm just about to plant my tomatoes out, I can't wait to start picking them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeric does take a long time to mature. I started mine under the lights March 1st and it was transplanted to the garden April 20th. Our last frost date is around May 20th and we just had our first fall frost the week before I harvested mine. I will start mine from seed earlier next year to allow the plants more of a head start.

      Delete