Monday, October 7, 2013

Harvest Monday: October 7, 2013

Each Monday, Daphne’s Dandelions hosts “Harvest Monday” where everyone can share links to their harvest for the week. It’s fun to see what everyone is gathering from his or her gardens in different areas.

It was a gorgeous fall week here in Maine. I am so happy that the early frost warnings last month didn't happen because the garden has gone on to produce so much since then. I even expect to harvest another round of peppers as the plants have more fruit that has sized up during our warm week. According to the weather predictions, we may enjoy one more week before nighttime temperatures begin to drop into freeze danger levels. I think that is all the remaining tomatoes need.

It was a busy week preserving in between graphic design projects. The kitchen counter is still lined with ripening tomatoes and several baskets full of partially ripe tomatoes were harvested this week. The fully ripe tomatoes were made into tomato sauce that simmered on the stove during the day as I worked. Once one batch was canned, there were more tomatoes ripe and ready to process. By the end of the week, I put up 17 pints of tomato sauce. We also enjoyed our first meal with tomato sauce from this year's tomatoes. Oh my! I think the amount of Amish Paste in the mix led to a vast improvement of the rich flavor of this years sauce.



We loved the applesauce that was made from the apples picked from our trees last week and wanted more. While I was away from home at an appointment on Tuesday, K and his sister raided the trees and yielded about 15 pounds of apples each. K's sister baked apple delights all week while I turned my batch into 9 pints of applesauce. I can't wait to pick more apples this week.



The final potatoes were dug on Saturday. There are about 20 pounds in this bucket to add to the rest in storage. There was about 5 more pounds that had critter damage that will be trimmed and used this week.



Herbs were clipped and dried. Pictured below is some Thyme:



Be sure to visit Daphne’s Dandelions to see what others are harvesting this week.

12 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a good preserving week. I love weeks when I get lots of things canned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel it was a productive week all around. It is nice to see the shelves in the basement fill up with jars.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! Those potatoes are particularly nice looking and make me feel guilty as I REALLY need to lift my potato patch too. I did get to clearing walkways and doing general tidy up in the garden this weekend as it was a sunny warm one on this other side of the US too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to try to dig all the potatoes earlier next year. There was a lot of critter damage that probably could have been avoided if only I harvested earlier.

      Delete
  3. There is nothing like homemade tomato sauce! And applesauce! And I am jealous of your potatoes, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been out of homemade tomato sauce for a while now. It is nice to taste it again and to have a supply on the shelf.

      Delete
  4. You've been so productive. Your potatoes do look good. I wish I had enough space for potatoes, but with the ridiculously cheap price at the farmers market I just buy them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of maybe not growing potatoes next year. I too can find them at a reasonable price at the farmers markets and I can better utilize the garden space. Plus digging them up is hard work :)

      Delete
  5. Where do you all get the mason jars? I would imagine starting out canning would make one broke... :) Where is the most cost-effective way to get them? Online probably?

    I'm going to have to design a large pantry to hold up a bunch of jars for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of year I can find new mason jars almost anywhere: grocery, discount, hardware, and even dollar stores carry them. Mason/Ball/Kerr/Golden Harvest are all made by Jardan and are the brands you will want to look for. Stay away from those made in China.

      Also check Craigslist or any other swap organization in your area (Freecycle?) for used jars. Ask around too. A lot of people you wouldn't expect have a few boxes of mason jars in their basement collecting dust. Just be sure to check the rims for chips, cracks, stains and scratches. You will need to buy more lids and maybe rings. These too can be acquired at dollar/discount stores.

      Delete