Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Growing Season is Almost Over

"Got any potatoes?" K shouted upstairs. I was working a long day last week to hit a graphic design project deadline. I clicked save and said that I would be right down.

We have an agreement. If I don't stop work to start dinner at 4 pm, K jumps in to figure it out or we won't have anything to eat. He had chicken ready to grill but didn't know what I did with the recently harvested potatoes. This past weekend, I packed them up in boxes layered with shredded paper and stored them in the coolest area in our basement.

There was still a 2 x 8 foot section in the garden that needed to be dug up. I grabbed a shovel and unearthed some potatoes for dinner. I also harvested some fresh pole beans.



I paused for a moment and looked at the garden. It is looking kind of rough and I know that the growing season is almost over. I will miss harvesting what is needed for daily meals.

The end of summer is such a busy time in the garden mostly dealing with the harvest coming in all at once. In addition, I have been very busy with graphic design projects. Lately, there’s hasn't been much opportunity to reflect, to absorb, to acquaint myself with things beyond daily life.

As I looked around, I noticed the trees have begun to turn and the woods surrounding our property are looking a little thin. Fall is here and it is time to begin clean up the garden and prepare the beds for the approaching winter.

7 comments:

  1. I was out cleaning up today. Right now I'm dealing with the compost. I have no more room in the first pile, so I've got to get the second pile separated and put on beds that are finished before I can turn the other one over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squash bed was cleaned up a few weeks ago, but most of the serious garden cleanup will begin this weekend. I still need to decide where to plant the garlic.

      Delete
  2. While I did not find any spuds, I did manage to mow three acres. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite an accomplishment :) Next year I suspect you will have a garden that will be the envy of all of us.

      Delete
  3. Mr. Granny commented on the garden today. He said it has never looked so nice and clean! I know I pulled out a few things that probably would have extended the harvest for another week or two, but it feels good to be mostly caught up with fall cleanup and prepping for next years garden beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A huge amount of my tomato harvest happened over the past few weeks. I am lucky that frost has stayed away so far to allow them to ripen. With that being said, I can't wait to pull out a few beds and get things trimmed and cleaned up.

      Delete
  4. Bit by bit I have begun the fall clean-up. I am so reluctant to begin yanking out old plants, I guess because after all the work of raising them it makes me sad to see them go!

    ReplyDelete